AA v A networks

I am rather new to the big K's, have Heresy's, but I just got a '81' pair of LAS and am looking to put the best of the classic parts in it. I've heard the AA networks are to protect the tweeters for distortion level volumes...I would love to get some more views on this as I am deciding which one to use , the AA or the A.

I converted my AA's to A's and like the results. My Khorns are 1982 models. Enter Type A in the search box in the upper right of this page for plenty of discussion about the Type A and other Xovers. (This pic was originally posted by John Albright)

Type%20A2.jpg

Greg,

The AA network is the A with a higher order tweeter filter and zener diodes to protect the tweeter.

The A will sound crisper than the AA becasue it has less loss then the AA to the tweeter. About 3 dB less.

The A will not protect the tweeter from low frequency energy. This can cause distortion at high levels or even a blown tweeter.

The AA can damage some amps at high levels becasue the zener diodes actually short-circuit the amp when the kick in.

Both networks have very poor impedance curves rising to roughly 30 Ohms around 2500 Hz or so.

Al K.

Greg,

Bob Crites (BEC) on this forum has just finished a type AA rebuild for me. The old caps had drifted off spec. I'd asked him to just rebuild it as a type A, but he told me he'd worked out a way to have them switchable from A to AA. Haven't yet seen the finished product, but found that interesting and appealing. Also, only added $10 to the price!

Al,

Thanks for the compare and contrast on the A vs AA. I'm actually learning while I'm on the forum. There are a few of my old teachers I just wish could see me now!11.gif

----------------

On 4/12/2004 12:32:28 PM Al Klappenberger wrote:

Greg,

...The A will sound crisper than the AA becasue it has less loss then the AA to the tweeter. About 3 dB less.

The A will not protect the tweeter from low frequency energy. This can cause distortion at high levels....

Al K.

----------------

I absolutely agree. As wonderful as the "A" sounds at low volume, the tweeter distortion it produces is noticeable at a moderate to loud volume.

If you have A-A crossovers, stick with them. And then try the A-A tweeter circuit modification discussed in detail in the "ODDS and MODS" forum titled:

"More extended highs for AA network"

I think you like that too.