Hafler DH-200...good, bad or just plain ugly?

Soundthought

Hello all,

I have a chance to trade, even up, for one stock Hafler DH-200.

The value of which would be approx $150-175.

Having read mixed reviews of these particular pieces around the web, I'm now having second thoughts about going through with it.

Heh....

Truth be told.

The appeal of trying something "new" may ultimately win me over.

It's my nature. :)

But...i'm not completely without control.

I still don't want to waste money/good gear on box of inadequate parts.

Who does?

So....I ask humbly to those in the know.....is it worth a try?

Regards,

John.

John,

You've asked an interesting question. I've had Haflers in my system since 1980 and in my closet since 2003. I think their suitability just depends on what's in your system. I loved the way mine sound driving a Bose 802 pro sound system. I didn't find them a satisfactory match with La Scalas. One thing with these amps, though built like tanks, I have to wonder about the age of the caps and how far off spec they might be.

I'm wondering what you plan for the DH200 and what you are currently using. So many considerations are really system specific.

Best regards

I really don't have any specific plans for it other than sawpping it out between several differing component compliments.

I'm just fishing for a general idea of where it stands in the grand sceme of things.

Let's say, by comparison to an Adcom GFA545 or B&K St2140.

Regards,

John.

Back in the 80s my best friend used a Hafler DH 200 with a Luxman preamp and a pair of La Scalas to DJ at parties and also used the same set up as his stereo system and it sounded very good. I think he also used a EQ with the set up. But that was 16 years ago and you don't know what kind of condition this amp is in. I have the same Luxman preamp and have thought about buying a Hafler DH 200 myself. My friend put that amp through hell and it kept on working so they are built very good.

From my experiences with this amp I would give a new one a very high review but since these amps were made from around 80-85 the age factor is something to consider. What kind of preamp and speakers do you have? It is hard to say how the amp will match with your preamp but it sounded great with my friends Luxman preamp and La Scalas! The preamp my friend used in combo with this amp and La Scalas sounded great to me but the earlier post did not like it with La Scalas but he probably had a different preamp. I see this amp for sell on Ebay all the time so they seem to sell good so you could resell it on Ebay if you don't like the amp. The only reason I did not buy one is I bought a Cayin TA 30 integrated tube amp for my La Scalas. I have never owned a tube amp so I thought I would try one. I probably will buy a DH 200 in the future just to try it.

Xman