Hum in my speakers when sub is plugged in

dantfmly

I have a hum in my speakers when i plug the interconnect cable into the sub. Is there anything i can do to get rid of it. I got ride rid of the hum in the sub by using an isolation transformer on the cable line coming in which cused that one. should i use an rca type isolation transformer on the interconnects and see if that solves this problem.

It sounds to me like you have a ground loop, which generally causes a 60Hz hum. You can research ground loops on the net, there are plenty of good articles on the subject. Your best bet is to try plugging the sub on the same circuit as the rest of your system and see if that gets rid of the problem.

----------------

On 4/14/2004 4:20:05 PM dantfmly wrote:

the sub is pluged into the same circuit as the rest of the stuff, i ordered a rca groud loop isolator through ebay. we will see if that helps.

----------------

I'll be very interested to see how that works out for you. I just went through the same thing but ended up sending the stuff back since it was new.

Have you tried using an extension and plugging your sub into the same power bar as your main components? As useless as that recommendation may seem, I'm just curious if there is not something on the same circuit which might cause the ground differential.

If it still hums, it would probably indicate RFI/EMI interference which is being picked up by the long interconnect. I had this situation, but eventually eliminated it when I switched to separates (my sub amp is in the equipment rack). Simply upgrading the interconnect with a well shielded one (like Belden cable) will usually do the trick.

Later...

Rob

----------------

On 4/14/2004 5:29:23 PM formica wrote:

Have you tried using an extension and plugging your sub into the same power bar as your main components? As useless as that recommendation may seem, I'm just curious if there is not something on the same circuit which might cause the ground differential.

If it still hums, it would probably indicate RFI/EMI interference which is being picked up by the long interconnect. I had this situation, but eventually eliminated it when I switched to separates (my sub amp is in the equipment rack). Simply upgrading the interconnect with a well shielded one (like Belden cable) will usually do the trick.

Later...

Rob

----------------

don't need an extension cord it is right next to the surge protector and everything is plugged into that. thank you for the info

• 2 weeks later...