RF7/RF5 speaker placement

BruinsFan

I like the RF7s - my issue is their size. I've mentioned this in other posts but really what I meant is that, from what I've read here, - to get the most from them, they need to be 2-3 feet from the wall. Well, that's too far - the WAF goes out the door.

I can't take these to the room and try them out so I need some opinions:

How much do I loose having them, let say, a foot from the wall?

Where would RF5s or RF35s be placed? Would either of those provide better sound as oppose to stifling the RF7s?

I was leaning towards the RF5s - but I've read lot of different opinions about the RF35 vs. the RF5s. I know neither will be as good as the RF7s but I should be able to get something decent together. I will match the center accordingly and pretty much decided on the RSW15 to help with the low end.

I'm guessing bookshelf speakers are an option - but the only ones I like were the RB75s. And they seem too big for speaker stands (the old tip over factor) - maybe some one had pics of how they deal with them.

Thanks as always.

Hello BruinsFan,

my problem is quite similar. I want the rf7 but I have a small room (see my topic 'rf7 in a small room'). My klipsch dealer says that rf7 can be placed very near to the rear wall, even as near as 3 inches, because they have no boom bass. He will give me a pair for a weekend for home audition. That will be the best way to judge wether they will match with the room. Perhaps you can also convince your dealer to do so.

The rf5 to me is no alternative, I had an audition at the dealer'store and I liked the sound of the rf35 more. This is a matter of taste, of course, but would save lots of money. I will think about it.

As always you have to trust your own ears, not the opinions of others.

B,

I think you will be fine at 1' from the wall. Just do it, you know you want to. Besides, you can always start at 1' from the wall and over time scoot them out about 1" here and there over the period of a few months or so... you know, sneak them out further so your wife does not notice... 9.gif

dr-dezibel: I read you thread and have been watching for updates - let us know how your tests go this weekend - I'd be curious what you think. I can't take them home to test because the house isn't finished yet. I'm curious what you liked about the RF35 over the RF5. The dealer closest to me has them in seperate rooms. The RF35 anf RF7 are in one room, the RF5s and the rest of the reference line are in another. OBviously the RF7 blew away all but I thought the RF5s were better then the RF35s - even though i couldn't A/B them.

m00n: yeah you're right. Problem is - she'll notice :-)

any opinions on the RB75s - seems the the front firing would eliminate any concerns about placement near a wall.

Hello BruinsFan,

Yes room size is an issue. I did not want to walk through the middle of the room to avoid the speakers either (MAF). I have my rf7s about 16 inches from the wall, but they are toed in toward the center of the room. So that seems to give the ports some more room to breath.

I own the RF5s and listend to both the RF5s and RF7s in the same room before purchase. I thought both were outstanding speakers with the low end obviously extending lower on the 7s. The RF5's sound smoother to my ears - a bit more forgiving in the high end than the RF7s.

Klipsch tech support descibes the 5s as voiced to sound like a "high end" audio speaker. I think that sums it up quite well.

As far as placement goes - the ideal is 2-3 feet from the walls BUT it will work just fine much closer 8" or so - this will boost the low end of the speakers - something you may find pleasant.

MarkBK

markbk is right, the rf5 is smoother and not so direct as the rf7. The rf5 could be better for classic music. I prefer rock and funk music and therefore like the more direct sound of the rf7. To me the sounded almost incredible.

If I'd have to take another speaker than the rf7 I'll take the rf35. They sound more like the rf7 than rf5 does. But you have to trust YOUR ears. Perhaps you like the rf5 more. Your dealer should make a comparision with all 3 models possible.

With the rf35 a subwoofer is a must, with the rf7 you can go without.

i have rf-35's/5's/7's all setup in my showroom. my take on the three is:

the rf-35's are a great value if real wood veneer is not an issue. the rf-5's sound more 'open' or 'natural' than the rf-35's(best description i can offer) and the rf-7's sound better than the 5's,in that they have a larger tweeter and horn(similar to the difference between the rf-35 vs. rf-5).

as far as placement close to the wall goes, my KLF-30's are placed relatively close to the side/back walls(no choice).they are w/in a few inches from the side walls(3-4")and maybe 6-8"from the rear wall and thay sound GREAT!! toe-in/out is CRITICAL! i worked w/toe-in/out until i got a SOLID 'phantom center' AND AT THE SAME TIME get sounds from BEYOND the left and right walls.

don't worry about having them too close to the back/side walls.

also,the rsw-15 is an EXCELLENT sub to go w/any of these speakers.

JMO-

avman.

----------------

On 4/19/2004 8:11:12 AM dr-dezibel wrote:

With the rf35 a subwoofer is a must, with the rf7 you can go without.

----------------

i strongly disagree...

the rsw-15 will add CONSIDERABLY to ANY of these speakers when paired w/a digital receiver.i added the sub last,and while i really enjoyed the bass from the KLF-30's before, the rsw-15 and related changes to the bass management setup to my digital receiver made a DRAMATIC across-the-board improvement to movies AND music.

avman.

good info all. I'm really leaning towards the RF5s matched with a RSW15. The better finish over the RF35 helps the WAF. I think with my room - the RF5s will probably be a little more forgiving. The RSW15 should pick up some of the low end that the RF7 would have provided. Gotta believe that they'll sound killer - and should be plenty loud for me.

The center will be the RC7 - I thought it matched better although a few have mentioned RC35 was closer.

Beyond that - now have to work on the rears.....

----------------

On 4/19/2004 11:44:16 PM BruinsFan wrote:

The RSW15 should pick up some of the low end that the RF7 would have provided.

>SOME?!? the rsw-15 digs W-A-Y deeper than a rf-7 can,while still remaining fast,tight,and accurate.<

Gotta believe that they'll sound killer - and should be plenty loud for me.

>OH YEAH!!!<

The center will be the RC7 - I thought it matched better although a few have mentioned RC35 was closer.

>i would say go w/the RC-7 because the center channel is SO important,and the rf-5's should have no problem 'keeping up'<

Beyond that - now have to work on the rears.....

>rs-35's OR rs-7's//rb35's//rc-35's hummm...that isn't quite as easy as the center/sub?
3.gif

----------------

>rs-35's OR rs-7's//rb35's//rc-35's hummm...that isn't quite as easy as the center/sub?

Actually none of those are options - the WAF is a big problem with the rears. Plus the room set up doesn't really allow anything on stands or on the floor.

Pretty much has to be RCRs or RCWs. One wall has a bunch of windows - so the RCW would have to be about 8 feet up. kind of a challange.

The rf5 has no big advantage over rf35, it has the same woofer size and the same tweeter as the rf35 with only a little bigger horn. In my opinion it is a good stand alone speaker, but in HT only a compromise. Ive heard rf7 and rf5 and cannot believe that the timbre of rf5 will match as perfect with the rc7 as the rf7. Perhaps you will regret your decision in a few years (months?) and want to upgrade to the 7s.

Don't go for second best, think big and get the 7s.

Ill take a pair home for a test soon. If they fit in my room, I'll buy them instantly.

no one mentioned there being a significant difference between rf35s and rf5s but there is a difference. (Let your ears judge what works for you). And I don't doubt that the RF7s will match better to the RC7s over the RF5s. But I've heard it - and thought the RF5 match better to the RC7 then the RC35.

But you made my point at "If they fit in my room". It's not just size of the room, but placement, WAF etc. My room being an acoustical challenge - I think the RF5s will be a little more forgiving. Are the RF7s better, yes - but I doubt anyone here will say that RF5s with RC7 and an RSW15 will not make for a better then average HT. And I have just concluded that RF5s will work best in my environment.

Regrets - of course that's possible - but you could get the RF7s and weeks later decide that wished you had Khorns...