Speaker selection

Buffalo

I am also finishing my basement and am set on having Klipsh speakers for my small theatre room. I am looking for suggestions on what speaker matches would work well together, all in-wall or wall mount.

Room size L x W x H - 16 x 14 x 8

Front speakers? RS-7

Center channel? RC-7

Side speakers? RCW-5

Rear speakers? RCR-5

I also read something about turning the wall speaker upside down so the base is closer to the ceiling and the tweeter is closer to ear level?

Has anyone have or heard the KPT proffesional series wall mounts?

I'd forget about the in-wall units unless you're looking for nothing more than "all around" background sound. I'm not sure why Klipsch makes these things other than they must have discovered there's a market for it. But IMHO they are inappropriate for HT or 'high fidelity' (audiophile) music playback. Not very flexible either. And once you've cut the hole in the wall.............

I am mainly concerned about DVD/ theatre so I am planning on getting an RC-7 and a SVS PB2-Plus subwoofer which I think most of the strong sound comes from and the side and back speakers will be used for the residule sounds in the movies.

Tell me if I am off base or just need some additional information?

So just to clear everything up, I am hearing that in-walls, especially for the front 3 is a poor choice but if it is the only otption I should go with SCW-5 for the in walls

Please look at the options below and recommend the setup for best theatre sound, thanks

Option 1:

Room size L x W x H - 16 x 14 x 8

Front speakers RF-7 (Dependant on Wife)

Center channel RC-7

Side speakers RCW-5

Rear speakers RCR-5

Subwoofer SVS PS2-Plus

Option 2: Front speakers RCW-7

Center channel RC-7

Side speakers RCW-3

Rear speakers RCR-5

Subwoofer SVS PS2-Plus

----------------

On 4/20/2004 11:31:48 AM Buffalo wrote:

Option 1:

Front speakers RF-7 (Dependant on Wife)

Center channel RC-7

Side speakers RCW-5

Rear speakers RCR-5

Subwoofer SVS PS2-Plus

----------------

No doubt option ONE with the RF-7's... perhaps you could add a "nice restaurant meal" to the bundle to help sway your wife... as it'll be money well spent.

Good luck... and don't give in... ;)

Rob

If you can afford option one, then it'd be an audio sin to think of replacing that system with anything else that is in-wall.

The in-wall and in-cieling speakers were designed to be used for those home systems where there is an intercom system and background music and all that stuff (the common name for this slips my mind). The other use is in commercial retail situations where space = money and the speakers gotta hide in spaces that don't = money.

All that to say, since you're building a "theatre room" then by no means should you consider a speaker intended for different usage. I know small and hidden speakers are cute and all that, but you're only going to notice that the first time you (or guests) walk into the room. Once you get sucked into the movie (provided it sounds good), then the rest of the room (including "big ugly speakers") kinda fades and you don't notice it anymore. If it sounds bad (which is highly probable with inwalls), then you're not gonna get sucked into the movie and you're gonna notice the speakers even though you can't see them.

Since it seems like you're going to be buying this system as a whole, I'd talk to your dealer and see if he could let you try the RF-7's first and if your wife really doesn't like it, then you could work out returning them and going the inwall route. Once you make that cut into the wall, you're kinda stuck with using the inwalls unless you plan on repainting. Since this will be a rather large purchase, I think the dealer would be all up for the option of getting your money back on the RF-7's.

another thought that crossed my mind is that you mentioned that your subs would be able to handle a lot of the power...though that is true to an extent, you still have to realize that bass alone not only sounds bad, but really isn't that powerful sounding. Strong full bass complimented with a good punchy midrange is what brings the power to a movie; lows + mids = power. it'd be sad to have such a nice sub and have to turn it down because small inwall mains couldn't keep up.

My answer from your same post over in Home Theater:

Buffalo:

My room is smaller than yours in width: 10.5W x 19L x 7H, and I am having excellent results with the following Klipsch Reference 7.1 setup:

Screen Wall

--------------------------------

RF7 RC7 RF7

-----SEATING---------

RS7 RS7

RSW15

RCW5 RCW5

--------------------------------

Check out my web site below for more info. -Picky 2.gif