Anybody done a KG 5.2 crossover?

thebes

Just acquired them and they sound sweet, but you know. Thought it might make a nice summer project. I can solder but don't have any other electronic expertise so if somebody's already done this I wouldlike to use your specs and materials list. Thanks.

If you can solder then just do it yourself! First get a copy of the schematic from Klipsch. Then just replace the stock parts with higher quality ones with the same values. I have heard good things about AudioCaps capacitors, 14ga. Perfect Lay air core inductors, and ERSE Super Q iron core inductors -- all can be found at www.partsexpress.com . Some people say to use air cores for all the inductors, but I think most agree it is okay to use a quality iron cores for the woofer section. That about the only decision you have to make.

Thanks STL. Should I get new circuit boards at the same time so the speakers aren't out or service while I'm doing the new crossovers? Also, if the specs don't match up exactly do I need some sort of a meter to take some of the windings off the inductors?

----------------

On 4/24/2004 12:17:17 PM thebes wrote:

Thanks STL. Should I get new circuit boards at the same time so the speakers aren't out or service while I'm doing the new crossovers? Also, if the specs don't match up exactly do I need some sort of a meter to take some of the windings off the inductors?

----------------

You don't need to replace the circuit boards, but if you plan on it taking you awhile to build the new networks then buying new boards might be a good idea. For capacitors you if you put multiple ones in parallel then the values add so a 1uF and a 3.3uF in parallel would be like a like a 4.3uF cap. For inuctors you could get values slightly higher and unwind some of the wire to make it match (measuring with a inductance meter), but I bet you can get pretty close to the values without having to resort that -- and besides inductor are spec'd at 10% tolerence (so the actual value might beup to + or - 10% than the specified value). If you want to get more exact then you can buy a LCR or inductance meter but be warned they aren't cheap.