Carver amps at pawn shop, should I?

kenratboy

I won't even mention the prices they wanted (new retail), but I talked them down 70% before, and can try again, and don't give a $*&^ if they don't want to sell them, as I will gladly walk away.

They have a Carver TFM-35x and a TFM-15, both in good condition with a few blemishes, but they looked solid.

Any idea what a good lowball price would be? I looked on audioreview.com and $150 looks to be a good price for the 15, and maybe $250 for the 35. Any other suggestions?

I don't really want the amps, but if I can get them for nothing, I might consider it. Hell, they would make great sub amps!

make sure they work...or at least get a 3 or 4 day return guarantee....

i bought an A-500x at a local pawn shop.... one channel would cut out at higher volumes....

remember that alot of the products are taken to pawn shops because something is wrong with the product.....

caveat emptor.....

"remember that alot of the products are taken to pawn shops because something is wrong with the product....."

Absolutely!

"make sure they work...or at least get a 3 or 4 day return guarantee...."

Most pawn shops only give 'store credit' on returns, ask before buying anything.

"caveat emptor....."

Amen!

Is there a way to test an amp without attaching speakers and a "source"? Can powering the amp on with nothing attached do damage?

My first Parasound amp came from a pawn shop. They said it worked, but, at home, it didn't. PS was great about helping me, even though there was no warranty. Turned out to be blown fuses.

----------------

On 4/24/2004 3:24:35 PM kenratboy wrote:

I won't even mention the prices they wanted (new retail), but I talked them down 70% before, and can try again, and don't give a $*&^ if they don't want to sell them, as I will gladly walk away.

They have a Carver TFM-35x and a TFM-15, both in good condition with a few blemishes, but they looked solid.

Any idea what a good lowball price would be? I looked on audioreview.com and $150 looks to be a good price for the 15, and maybe $250 for the 35. Any other suggestions?

----------------

I sold my TFM 35x on ebay about 2 months ago for 370.00 US. Mine worked completely, but the analog dial light burned out and it had a few scratches on the top. I was completely honest in my EBAY description, and I got very good bids because of this. I also agreed to take the unit back if they had troubles with it.

if you don't want or need them, don't buy them--pawn shops are a risky proposition. calculate what it will cost to fix if it doesn't work into the price-if its still a deal, then go for it, if not--seek your fortune elsewhere...

the best pawn shops by the way are around or near military bases. these boys buy some great gear and then...sell it all later...you can get some great buys at some of these places...just...don't be sad when it doesn't work....cause it does happen.