How much math goes into horn drivers?

kenratboy

Trey, your comments would be invited!

How much math and engineering goes into making a horn driver? I assume a LOT, but what are some of the basics? I look at all the different horns out there, and wonder how they got to that point.

Anyone have some insight?

Thanks!

Assuming you're talking about the horn flaring... Depends on the speaker.

If you look at some of the designs using Lowther drivers, the horns seem to have been built according to the "well, let's see, I've got this and this and that to use to build a cabinet, what kind of read loaded horn can I come up with..."

For the most part, there is solid mathematics backing up the design of the horn in speakers. There are several different types of horns, that follow different mathematical curves, so there are several different shapes that the horn itself can take. Klipsh Heritage speakers are built using horns that follow an exponential expansion. Klipsh Reference speakers use a horn that follows a Tractrix curve. AvantGarde speakers use a horn that follows a spherical (I think that's whay it's called) expansion rate. I believe newer Edgarhorns are tractrix. I think older JBL's were exponential, don't know about newer ones.

If you do a google search on "tractrix horn" speaker, "exponential horn" speaker, and take a look at the white paper on the Avantgard website you'll get quite a bit of info.

Ken,

The equations are not all that bad. It is an algebraic expression as an exponent of e and that is multiplied by a couple of constants. The bottom line is that can be translated into the area doubling every x inches. you can choose the x that gives the cut-off frequency you want.

It's too late to explain more.