Need Info on Klipsch kt-sw Sub

T2K

Can ANYONE who actually KNOWS something about this sub enlighten me about it? Would like to know if there was any history of problems(noise,amp,etc.).Anything unusual about the sub,such as crossover or otherwise(thinking about the THX certification)?Would say $500 be a good price for a new one? And would the sub still be useful considering the everchanging technology of speakers in general? I appreciate anyone's help!

Keith

Talkto Keith,

I believe (I could be wrong) that all THX cert subs are tuned to 40hz. Below that, SPLs fall off. Sounds dumn, huh?

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

Guest JimG

The KT-SW THX Sub was basically a SW-15 minus it's variable x-over and with the addition of video shielding. This was a very early THX piece, perhaps ahead of its time. I believe it actually performed nearly identical to a SW-15, but was spec'd differently due to a difference in the way THX spec'd back then. SW series II was the original SW series with a new amp, that I believe cleared up some noise issues. I think the KT-SW was an original SW-15 and that it lived through the change to series II, but whether it changed or not, I'm not sure. Have to ask some people if they remember or not. Kerry might know. It is a decent sub still today, but could be surpassed in performance by current stuff. You'd have to listen and compare to see if you think it's worth $500.

Jim

Guest JimG

Also, I do believe that it had some sort of filtering on the low-end for THX too. That sub was really designed to be used with a THX processor only, so if you don't have one, then I wouldn't buy it. It's not set up for use like a regular sub. (No LP x-over and such...)

Jim