Subwoofer rumbling

My v2-400 subwoofer rumbles (instead of "booms") when the sound frequency is too low. Actually, it kind of "grumbles", like the sub can't handle frequencies that low, and is just trying to cope (sounds kind of like "glug, glug, glug"). Don't know if this is the case though. It's been like since I bought it (about 3 years ago). I'm changing the front speakers to the new 4.1 speakers, and I'm also upgrading to the CP-1, but I'm not really sure if this will have any effect. Any ideas?

your sub is may be too close from a wall or a corner.

seting the close to a wall or a corner increase the bass level but if you put a sub really too close to a wall bass become unclear and not sharp at all.

be sure there is enought space in ftont of the port and in front of the speakers(about 30centimeters should be enough).

good luck to find your problem

the port is the hole in the front of your sub.

i don t know if the sub need a certain amount of space under it.

try to set your sub in a corner without anything under it.

the best way to place your sub is to place it where you listen your system, then walk around the room.when you reach a place where bass are powerfull and loud, it should be the best place for your sub.so you just have to place your sub where you listen the best bass when you where walking.

i wish i was clear, i m not very good in english.2.gif

any way, every hole of the sub need to breath(both the port and the two speakers).there is some air motion near these parts, if you don t let enough space in front of them, it s like trying to speak without breathing: you ll have to make an effort but the sound you ll make will be weak.9.gif

try to hook your promedia to something else to see if it comes from the promedia or the source.

what s the source, if it s a computer the sound quality depends a lot on the sound card you have.

you can try to push the volume of the sub down, the sub volume shouldn t be higher than the half.

• 3 months later...

Okay, so I got the new 4.1 satellites and a CP-1, but the sub is still grumbling. From all your suggestions, these are the possible causes.

a. too close to the wall - will try to move them later at least 30cm away from the port and speakers.

b. they're only multimedia speakers and have their limits - I'm not playing anything special though. Just some games on my Xbox or some movies on a dvd player, and sometimes even just regular stuff grumbles.

c. speakers are being overdriven - sorry what does this mean? and how can I fix it.

I am using a Midiland ADS-200 decoder. Would moving to a Promedia DD-5.1 help with the grumbling sound? (if only because they might both be engineered for each other because they have the same manufacturer). I also heard that the DD-5.1 had an option to vary the amount of low-frequency sound distributed between the sub and satellites (I think there were 3 settings). So would I be able to set it such that I could channel more low-frequency sound to the satellites (making them more powerful), and less to the sub (eliminating the grumble)? Of course this is the v2-400 sub/amp so there is no sub input, just an all-in-one "input" jack into the decoder, but just theoretically would it work?

----------------

On 8/11/2004 12:03:27 AM rear_naked_choke wrote:

Okay, so I got the new 4.1 satellites and a CP-1, but the sub is still grumbling. From all your suggestions, these are the possible causes.

a. too close to the wall - will try to move them later at least 30cm away from the port and speakers.

b. they're only multimedia speakers and have their limits - I'm not playing anything special though. Just some games on my Xbox or some movies on a dvd player, and sometimes even just regular stuff grumbles.

c. speakers are being overdriven - sorry what does this mean? and how can I fix it.

I am using a Midiland ADS-200 decoder. Would moving to a Promedia DD-5.1 help with the grumbling sound? (if only because they might both be engineered for each other because they have the same manufacturer). I also heard that the DD-5.1 had an option to vary the amount of low-frequency sound distributed between the sub and satellites (I think there were 3 settings). So would I be able to set it such that I could channel more low-frequency sound to the satellites (making them more powerful), and less to the sub (eliminating the grumble)? Of course this is the v2-400 sub/amp so there is no sub input, just an all-in-one "input" jack into the decoder, but just theoretically would it work?

----------------

B and C are the same things:

promedia speakers are small smeakers, if you ask too much from them they are overdrived. the amp send a lot of power to the speakers, but the speakers are not made to handle as much power or to play as loud as you want.

dou you play music at very loud volume?

if you turn the volume down or if you just turn the volume of the sub down it should sound better.

if it don t, then it s not the B or C probleme.

----------------

On 8/11/2004 5:35:19 AM rear_naked_choke wrote:

Well, I don't think I play music, movies or games very loud at all. Also, I never have problems with the satellites, just the sub grumbling. Might a move to the Promedia DD-5.1 help so I will be able to "move" some low-frequencies to the satellites?

----------------

no need to spend money for a DD5.1, it won t resolve your problem.

does the button fot the bass management is set to about 10 or 11 o clock on the control pod?

if it is turn above this,the bass are increase.it could lead to port noise on the sub or stuff like that.

When you say it 'grumbles', what do you exactly mean? Does it sound like a car engine? Does it shake or rattle, like something's loose?

From my experience with the promedia subwoofers, if they start to sound like a car, that means you're overdriving the sub/experiencing port noise.

You shouldn't have to turn the sub volume above half for it to be able to keep up with the satellite speakers. If the sub is at half and the bass is not clear or audiable at normal listening levels, then you'll want to reconsider where you're placing your sub.

don t forget what rjon17469 and i ve said:

check the sub volum!!

it could be the button of the bass control that is turned to a too high volume.

a bad sub placement would make messy bass, not clear and sharp.

it could be this but i think the sub overdrive is a better answer to your problem.

let s go step by step.it you go too fast in the troubleshoot, we may miss something.

• 19 years later...

Klipsch HD Theater SB 3 with a wireless subwoofer connected to a soundbar.

The sub has a constant rumble that changes amplitude with the volume control knob.  I can hear the music, TV sound through the sub but the rumble is twice as loud as the audio. 

It's now nearly 9 years old but hasn't been used extensively.  Is this a fix that i can undertake?  Electrolytic cap bad or could be another typical aging component that i can switch out?  Or pitch the sub?