Comcast HDTV with DVI

Michael Greenway

hey michael-

now that you CAN use the dvi input on your sony rptv(very nice one-btw)for your cable box,how will you hookup up that AND a dvd player w/dvi?

my suggestion(and as STL stated above)is use the dvi for the dvd player(that is the ONLY way to get the hd up-converted dvd picture to work)and use component for the hd cable box.

even if the dvd player wasn't a factor,i sincerely don't think you will see ANY difference,and dvi cables are pricey.

avman.

Did you go to Comcast for this upgrade or did you just try it too? How does the rest of the channels look too? I have Comcast HDTV Cable and also saw the DVI interface and got excited..... on the converter box. So, it works now? Or did you have to order it.. I am sure we can find a DVI interchange 2:1 box somewhere.

I know on my Samsung DVD player and Samsung DLP HDTV movies are just stunning... HDTV is incredible. Can it get better with the DVI from the cable box to the TV too...wow? Questioning minds want to know?

Avman,

I never said he should use the DVI connection for the DVD player -- actually I disagree with that statement if he is getting HD (which I assume he is) for his Comcast box -- and feels the urge to use the DVI connection. DVDs themselves are just 480p (well actually 480i but one can derived a true 480p from the way they are encoded) so upconverting them to 720p or 1080i really doesn't get you anything -- and if the scalar isn't very high quality the signal processing can actually degrade the signal! At least the signal coming from his cable box might sometimes be in 720p/1080i depending on what is being watched. Ideally you'd like to watch each digital source/program in its the native format -- whether it be 480p, 720p, or 1080i.

Now what I was saying is that since he has a regular rear projection HDTV (that uses CRTs) the fact he is using a DVI connection probably doesn't really "upgrade" the picture because the signal is ultimately getting converted to analog anyhow. Most HDTVs ultimately convert the signal they get into analog becuase that's what the CRTs need to display the image. Only the newer DLP, LCOS, LCD, and Plasma HDTVs can truly benefit from keeping the signal digital because those techonolgies ultimately use a digital signal.

STL-

i understand what you were saying. only a 'fixed-pixel' display (on paper) should benefit from a DVI connection because the signal STAYS in the digital domain.(and using a sony sat hd 300,hooked up to a VPL-HS10 1366x768 LCD pj, i STILL didn't see a difference in DVI vs.component!)

as far as the up-converters in those dvd players w/DVI-out and built-in up-converters(to 720p/1080i) i have wanted to try one on my pj and see which video processor is better, or which picture is better. until i do,the 'jury' is out.

avman.