Long winded Klipsch newbie Introduction

I too will extend a hardy welcome. And if I might suggest...a really great forum to hang out in, especially if you're not into mud-slinging or controversy or heated debates or confrontation is the two channel forum. So laid back they are. 11.gif

Seriously though, you're in the league of folks I will never be in. The ones that stumble across great finds. That crap never happends to me. I'm your proverbial day late and dollar short guy.

BTW...a couple of folks mentioned buying a used Denon and damn if I just don't happen to have one laying around. Can you believe your luck? First the Forte's now a Denon. Besides...if you buy my Denon, then that'll leave me with nothing for my HT which means I'll have to tell the wife I've got to go buy something to replace it. Of course this will just be our little secret since she never visits this foru.....

WHAP!!!! Owwwwww....that hurt!! How long you been standing there? 14.gif

Tom

IndyKlipschFan, Your right about the nice things to do in the Albuquerque area. It has it's problems like any place, but we do love the mountains, the food, and the sceanary. I only have three children, see post above, and they do love Finding Nemo, its one of their favorites.

fini and dkp, as much as I love my Forte's, My wife is definetly my greatest find. I have never thought of myself as luck, but I guess I should rethink that theory.

I know what you mean about a garage bulging. I keep meaning to get the digital camera and start E-baying. Maybe one of the cars could acctually fit it the garage some day.

Tom, you crack me up "WHAP"!! I've read some of the threads you've refer to. Great entertainment, but not what I'm here for nor is it good for the forum. I would love to look into a used Denon, but need to cool my credit card for a while.

A big Hello to ALL of you. I look forward to jumping into the Klipsch Clan.

Hello again to all and thanks for the welcomes.

Benesesso, as far as I know, no relation to your buddy. I used to fuel C-130's as a base contracter at Kirtland AFB here in Albuquerque, but thats about all. I would loved to have a ride though. I'm sure it's not as glamorous as it seems.

Funney about the wife factor. I got a great wife who loves music, our Fortes and doesn't mind me spending a small amount of our meger disposable income on gizmos and such. She thinks sitting in front of a computer reading post is a little "funny". No ones perfect.

1.gif

Dave:

WELCOME and ENJOY! You got an OUTSTANDING deal on those Forte's, congrats! I got a similar deal on my Forte's - they came with my WIFE. Wow, it's nice to have a spouse who has great taste!

At any rate, keep those eyes peeled for more, you should be proud. I am using the Forte's as my front R&L speakers, and I could not be happier. At $120 - I believe you qualify for "most frugal" member!

Of course, if this madness grabs you the way it has me over the past four months, it's gonna be crazy! I just picked up a set of Heresy II's, and have my eye on some other stuff. It only gets "worse".....

Best wishes on your own travels, hope the kiddos enjoy it too!

Popbumper16.gif

popbumper

Thanks for the welcome and Hello! We are two lucky guys to have such great wifes and speakers. I dream of finding another pair of Fortes, Heresys or other such finds; Odds are I used up my luck. Let the saving begin. I also have a Jeep Fetish/addiction/sickness. Too many hobies too little $$. LOL. Question for you, Do the Heresy IIs match the sound of the Fortes? I thought origingal Heresy's had the same speakers. Got to start planning for my future HT speaker system. 2.gif

Dave:

As a matter of fact - no! I did some "testing" last night between the Forte's and Heresy II's (I had been "building" a suitable frame to hold a heavy center speaker over my TV, and finally got it finished).

Heresy II's are BRIGHT. I have one set up now as a center speaker between two Forte's. OK, TOO BRIGHT. After listening for about an hour with a variety of sources, I have to say I almost went nuts - the Heresy SO dominated the front soundstage, that even after reducing it's level by 4dB, I still think it's TOO BRIGHT.

Pro's - the Heresy II is BEAUTIFUL with high frequencies. The sound of bells ringing, things "clanking", quiet whispers, subtle tonal differences, creaking, etc. are ALL faithfully and cleanly reproduced.

Con's - the sound is SO MUCH "in your face" that the rest of the system becomes background rather than complement.

SO, to conclude again, no. The Heresy II's do NOT match the Forte's. While they are a general complement, the Heresy DEFINITELY overpowers the others. As surrounds, I REALLY like the Heresy II's, but I will have to rethink what I am going to do about a center channel.

My recommendation? I do not know. I am aware of the "Academy" as you are - it's just a matter of finding one. I may have to resort to BUILDING one, or making a custom center using Forte components. Who knows. Hope this helps!

Popbumper

14.gif

----------------

On 5/11/2004 10:38:43 AM popbumper wrote:

SO, to conclude again, no. The Heresy II's do NOT match the Forte's. While they are a general complement, the Heresy DEFINITELY overpowers the others.

--------------

Do your Fortes have the round or rectangular network box? To the best of my knowledge the first Fortes made (round) were rated 4ohm/96db and had a different crossover than the later 8ohm/98db (rectangular). I suspect another difference you hear may be due to the Heresy II (97db)center drivers height and direct positioning at the listener and 'may' actually be closer in distance (which can make a huge difference... ). Neither possibility clearly explains a 4db difference however. It has been a while, but to the best of my recollection, at the same tweeter height, the Heresy II sounds amazingly similar to Fortes (without the authoritative bass).

Jerohm:

Perhaps some additional comments are in order:

1) The Heresy II is sitting on top of the TV, on its side (making the drivers vertical rather than horizontal).

2) The Forte's are L&R, BUT are sitting on the floor (yes, there is a reasonable distance from their tweets to the Heresy's tweet). Perhaps I need to get the Forte's UP more to better align them. Should the Heresy be mounted UPSIDE DOWN?

3) I BELIEVE thta the Forte's have the ROUND box on their backs; I really do not know (shame on me).

4) According to data on the Klipsch site, the Forte's and Heresy II share the same MIDRANGES (K-53-K), but different tweets (K-75-K vs. K-76-K, respectively). I would have suspected that the speakers would have sounded similar since they shared mids....

Popbumper

Jerohm:, Popbumper

Thanks for the info. I have heard of the Acadamy, I hear it costs a pretty penny. Klipsch would do well to build a center channel with the same tibre matching for older Klipsch speakers. Seems there's a good market for them.

Hint hint...