What's Wrong With Samsung/Klipsch HT-SK5

CO1

I have not heard this system but the price looks like it is 1/3 or less of what it was Christmas and I see the same warning message posted everywhere

Quote:

don't waste your money on a Samsung HT-SK5, March 1, 2004

The HT-SK5 is a lemon--don't buy it. Although the sound quality is great, the audio doesn't match the video when you're using a digital input, like digital HDTV. So, the lips don't match the words on any digital stations. It made it impossible to watch any HDTV programming, which essentially was why I bought it.

After 3 months of dealing with Samsung's poor technical support, including shipping the product back to Samsung, I learned from Samsung that they can't fix the problem, and they don't have a replacement product that would work better. The only thing more frustrating than the audio sync problem was Samsung's awful technical support. The staff was poorly educated about their own products, they never returned calls or e-mail like they promised, and seemed to have no concern for their customers. Don't waste your money--in fact, Samsung treated me so poorly, I can't recommend buying any Samsung products.

----------------

On 5/8/2004 8:08:19 AM Bill H. wrote:

Co1,

Did you purchase one? I also, have been looking into this model and now I am afraid to purchase it.............thanks for the heads up!

----------------

I was thinking of buying one to use as the sound system for a PC, especially since the local Best Buy is letting these things go for less than the price of the ProMedia 5.1 Ultras, thus the video sync problem would not be an issue for me (I'd only use the built-in DVD player as a back-up CD player). I would imagine the included Quintet speakers are of better quality than the ProMedia speakers, not to mention that I could always ditch the Samsung reciever for something better in the future.

No I have not purchased one but I was going to recommend it to a friend because he is getting a Sony HT. Now I don't think I will. The only thing is that for the limited amount of searching I have done the only negative stuff is by this one guy but he has posted in a lot of places. Makes me wonder if it is an isolated case because my thinking is a common problem would be all over the net. People who have a problem are more likely to post than people who don't so I find it strange that there are no reports from anyone else. Could also be that very few have bought them because of their initial high price which would explain the low number of user reviews. In addition the very low price that they are selling for right now leaves me wondering why?? The guy could also have a problem with his setup or service or he could just be an idiot. I do know that the Quintets are a decent speaker for their price range but I wont have an opportunity to test the system until late July and my friend wants to buy in the next week or two so I will steer him somewhere else. Im not going to take the chance of making a bad recommendation just because it has Klipsch on the label. I guess Ill just have to file this one away with the Loch ness Monster and Bigfoot and chalk it up as one of lifes big mysteries.

Does Samsung have more than one HTIB with Flipsch speakers? I am asking since the one I saw yesterday in the nearby BB had a sub that looked more like the one that comes with 5.1 Ultras rather than the one in the photo above.

There are 2 different Samsung/Klipsch HTIBs. One with Quintets and a KSW sub and the other with, essentially, a ProMedia 5.1 set of speakers. I know at least one person with the second system and he loves it - and the price was right. Of course most people will just use the internal DVD player and never have the potential to experience the described problem - if it does even exist. I guess you'd have to be running your digital cable box or satellite receiver through it to have that potential issue.

• 8 months later...

I'm a little late on this one, but I own the probably discontinued Samsung SK6. It looks identical to the SK5, has the Quintet speakers and placed me squarely on the Klipsch train. It is as awesome as a $800 HTIB is likely to get. No audio issues sync issues whatsover although the dialogue could be a little cleaner. It rocks surprisingly well for such a tiny rig.

Guest Anonymous

that is definatly an isolated incedent and i am sure that he never bothered to go through warrenty repair, if he even bought it from an authorized dealer which i doubt he did...... for the price i have never heard anything bad about them...