RW-12 (not rsw) vs. Infinity alpha 1200s

om13934

I currently own the RW12 and a friend of mine owns the infinity mentioned previously. We have a mutual friend who is looking at subs in that price range, and I was wondering which you would choose. This friend has mtx monitor 12 mains, so he's already got two 12 inch woofers and those speakers extend down to 30-35 hz pretty strong. He's just looking for help in the lower range. He's also probably concerned more about overall decible output of the sub than necesarily really clean bass but he doesn't want it distorted of course. He's one of those loud music rockers who thinks his mtx's will outperform anything.

Thanks 007 considering The svs pci 25-31 doesn't go quite as low as the rw12 and is the ONLY svs sub in the same price braquet as the RW12 or infinity. Also, I asked for a comparison or input from someone who has heard either of the subs... NOT an "I know better than you, get an svs" statement. I have already considered svs so I am looking for opinions on the two subs in the thread title.

Hmmmm given that between the three of you, you have the two subs and main speakers in question why not bring them out to you mtx buddy's place and have a shootout?

I have not heard the Infinity so I can't really comment on it's capabilities, and comparing the units in two different rooms would be pointless given the extent of the room's influence on performance. Your friend would be the best to judge what sounds best to him and what tradeoffs he's will to live with.

He'd owe you guys bigtime though... 2.gif

Rob

Yeah... I wanted to do a side by side test, but for some reason my friend with the infinity doesn't want to compare his to mine. I wonder why?2.gif Oh well, I can't think of anyone who doesn't find the copper woofers at least a little intimidating.1.gif In my opinion the rw12 is better than the infinity, but I was just looking for some extra material to tell my friend to convince him the of the same. Comprendes?

----------------

On 5/8/2004 11:37:57 PM Tweek wrote:

----------------

I man of many words... or too many beers 9.gif

om13934: I'm sure you've already used the "he doesn't want to bring it because he KNOWS he'll loose" argument? 3.gif Actually they probably aren't worlds apart in their capabilities... but it's more of a different signature sound and a shootout would have been fun for you as well.

Maybe you could try taunting him (friend with the infinity)... lol...

Rob

I say try and look for the older version Interlude sub, the IL120s. It will have similar if not a little bit more output than the Klipsch. The Alpha 1200s get's beaten by last year's smaller 10"(IL100s) when you go down low. When you go with last years 12" it will only be beaten by a larger margin. The best thing about the Infinity subs is the RABOS system, unfortunately you have to buy the kit separately but it's well worth it to properly use the built in eq to smooth out your response. If you want the absolute bang for the buck you should check out SVS, Hsu, and Outlaw.