progressive scan dvd scam

t-man

Is a progressive scan DVD player really worth the money. What TVs should they be used with? Projection or tube?

My dad is being given the hard sell on getting the Sony progressive scan DVD player for $300. Not sure on model number. He's not much of an enthusiast, but I did convince him to go with the Klipsch Ref system and an SVS sub. He has the Sony 36" XBR WEGA. Would this DVD player really outperform a standard one for half the price on this TV?

Thanks,

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

Well, I was just about to jump all over the sales guy, 'cause progressive scan output from the DVD player isn't going to work with your basic TV set, you need something that supports higher scan frequencies, like a front or rear projector... however, having opened mouth and inserted foot once too often, I took a look at the specs of the Sony.

If you're Dad has the KV-36XBR400, which supports "Hi-Scan 1080i Display (Hi-Scan component video input accepts all 18 DTV formats when connected to an external DTV tuner and displays them at 1080i or 480p; also accepts 480p output from a compatible DVD player)" per the Sony site, the by all means tell him to GET THE PROGRESSIVE SCAN DVD PLAYERs>, it will look TeeRific on that set.

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray,is absolutely correct,t-man.That recent project that I have spoken endlessly of used the Sony DVPNS400 (non-progressice)DVD player and the picture is superb.

However,I bought the 400 before the DVPNS700? was available locally.I can only imagine the picture the PS

would yield.Get the progressive scan DVD player.What's $50,or so?BTW,you might check out avman's site.Good luck!

Keith

This message has been edited by talktoKeith on 07-10-2001 at 12:34 PM