Amp Problem?. . . NOPE! dirty power problem!

So I had posted yesterday that I was getting a crazy bad buss or static coming on and off through my Jolida amp. I was pretty mad at first, cause I have only recently bought the amp. I was just heading to bed when my roomate approached me and wanted me to listen to his headphones, cause he thought he heard something wrong with his system. SURE ENOUGH same exact static coming through his headphones. Our systems are totally unrelated and in different rooms, so this leads me to one conclusion. Interference due to the power coming in.

The problem was gone this morning, however now that I have realized what an effect the power can have on your system I am going to pick up a balanced power supply/line conditioner. I Looked at the Monster Cable ones, but feel like they are overpriced for what you actually get. Seems like they are just glorified surge protecters until you reach the 1000 dollor point. Now I am considering the Balanced power BP-1(600$ used), ps audio p300(500-650$ used), or the Transcendent Sound Balanced power supply(350 new in kit or 425 fully assembled).

http://www.transcendentsound.com

basicly I was just writing this to let people know about my experience with bad power, and to see what other people have encountered on the top. Anyone try any of the above conditioners? Andyone have an other suggestion?

Take 'er easy!

Joseph

The Panamax seemed to me to be more of a surge suppressor than a filtering device, but I could be wrong about that.

I had a Panamax on my video gear that suddenly just died (from old age, I assume). It lasted about 7 years total, I would think. Some sort of relay closed and that's it. Dead.

I now use the Monster "one-eye", which costs much more, but includes some active AC filtering capabilities of a varying nature, which I would recommend if you have particularily dirty AC.

DM2.gif

"The Panamax seemed to me to be more of a surge suppressor than a filtering device, but I could be wrong about that."

Panamax has different lines. Which one do you have? The high-end models are not only surge suppressors but they also do active line filtration and conditioning. A couple of my panamaxes are ten years old and they still run to this day.

For the money this Panamax ($850 new) is way better then your "one-eye" Monster!

"Check this one out for 250$."

The "PW8R15AUD" is more like a surge suppressor. Read the description!

"A well designed amplifier shouldn't benefit from these devices."

You think so, Dean? Then tell me why people replaced stock IEC power cord with that costing hundred of dollars even on "well designed amplifiers"?

I can't imagine any regular contributer here shelling out hundreds of dollars for a damn power cord.

Personally, I think one needs to shell out thousands of dollars, and run that fancy stuff all the way to the breaker box.

The topic was line "conditioners", and properly designed amplifiers filter out the garbage. Honest.

joseph is talking about balanced power producers and a/c regenerators, not these filters and surge protectors you guys are mentioning. they do quite different things. check them out before commenting, I had a friend bring over a PS Audio unit and plug it in to audition in my system, everyone in the house at the time (about 10 people) noticed the difference the regenerated a/c made in my system's sound. I still have not taken the plunge into buying myself a unit (I still rely on a monster surge protector/filter just to keep anyhting from blowing up) but I know I will eventually. regards, tony

Yeah, looks like the highest model panamax has some of the conitioning qualities, but for what you get the price is TOO high, and I hate stuff that puts flashy stuff like guages and lights on their products. All that tells me is that there is more circuits in there that don't need to be. I would much rather have a utilitarian-looking box, that way I know the product is doing ONLY what it is intended for, and not screwing up my sound with useless guages and electronic settings.

The Balanced Power BP-1 is supposed to be AWSOME, and I have heard great things about the PS audio products. However, being a college student funds are limited for this upgrade, and I think i am going to go with the Transcendent Audio Balanced Power Supply. For 425 new it looks VERY promising. I will repost on here when I get it, to let you guys know what I think, and if it is worth the money. I sure would like to lower/eliminate the noise floor.

Joseph

Well to answer a not serious question seriously. There are other applications for such devices. Mostly in hospitals where the quality of power must be very high to avoid dirty inconsistant power from affecting the readings that certain measurment and life support systems give. In fact without hospitals audiophiles wouldn't enjoy a lot of power benifits, seeing they pioneered high quality power cords, plugs, and conditioners.

They also can have a great affect on TVs. The most common thing I have heard is that when there is black on the screen it is pitch black rather than that funny black that is still imitting some light.(much like when your TV is on with no signal, and you can still see light)

I may try hooking it up to my George Foremann grill though, cause I have noticed some inconsistancy in my chicken breasts as of late. Maybe this is just the solution I am looking for to get that golden yet tender chicken!

Joseph

The ultimate solution to this problem comes from EDGE AMPS(www.edgeamp.com) Rather than fool with AC they make preamps that have a HUGE built in battery that charged when not in use, and then when in use you only use direct current. I myself havn't heard them to vouch for it, but it sure sounds like a brilliant idea. For 9000 for a preamp.......it better be a good idea.

Joseph

Final also makes battery powered amps and preamps. I originally drove my Tipath amps with a battery but switched to a regualted 12 volt supply. I gave up on the battery concept when people started to discuss the sonic attributes of carbon vs ni-cad vs...

JIm N