Newbie needs advice-Speakerwire/connectors for Cornwalls

Corny

I don't know how I would get 12 to connect to the Corwalls. I had enough trouble getting the 14 to fit through the little holes in the connectors on the back of the Cornwalls. For using larger guage wire, do they have some sort of connectors that attach to the ends of the wire, and then reduce down to connect to the speakers?

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=155#connect

There are many crimp on pin, banana, and spade connectors that you can terminate to your 14 AWG speaker wire. Although difficult to twist, I am using bare 11 AWG wire around my Cornwall's terminal post, so it can be done...carefully.

Thanks for mentioning the "Boiled" linseed oil. I read the post relating to it, was planning to get some, but hadn't done it yet.

If you were mentioning it to make sure I understood that there was a difference between "Raw" linseed oil and "Boiled" linseed oil...I'm glad you did. I read that term "Boiled" and didn't really pay much attention to it. I just focused on the "linseed oil" part, butcause I knew of the spontaneous combustion hazard associated with it.

You forced me to do a Google search, and now I know the difference. I found this passage helpful,

"Which is the 'right' linseed oil for the job... Raw or Boiled?

Raw" linseed oil is just that... linseed oil mercilessly squeezed from flax seed and packaged with no additional additives or preservatives. Raw linseed oil dries very slowly, taking weeks to fully cure. You should limit its use to the insides of wood gutters, chopping blocks, sawhorses, and other items exposed to the elements where drying time is not a consideration.

Slow drying is a mixed blessing. For oil-based paints, slow drying is a benefit, since this allows the paint to "level" itself, giving a smoother finish with fewer brush marks. The best looking paint jobs are invariably oil paint jobs, without question. However, when used as a wood preservative for items that are handled or walked on, such as tool handles, furniture, or wood decks, long drying times are undesirable. Enter boiled linseed oil...

"Boiled" linseed oil, though, is not boiled. The actual boiling of some oils changes their drying characteristics, true. With linseed oil, though, it is the addition of certain solvents that causes linseed oil to dry more quickly, acting as if it were boiled. This makes it a better product for preserving tool handles, decks, and furniture. I suppose they should have named it "sort-of-boiled linseed oil", or "kinda-like-boiled-but-not-really-boiled linseed oil". You know... to make it less confusing..."

I know now that I definitely don't want to use "Raw" linseed oil. I'll make sure I get the real BLO.

Thanks alot.1.gif

Here's the website I got the info from:

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infxtra/inflin.shtm

• 3 weeks later...

Soundstage:

The further out from the walls and corners, the more defined the soundstage. The closer to the end and side wall, the more prominent the bass. It takes some experimenting to find the right combination for your room and equipment. Carpet, furniture, ss vs. tube amp and preamp will make a difference, so there is no one size fits all answer. Try starting about 1 1/2 feet out from the wall and corner and then move in two inch increments. If they are too far out, not enough bass, then move them closer to the walls. It will take a little while, but it will give you a more pleasureable listening experience. Believe it or not, one inch does make a difference in determining the final position.

• 1 month later...

Welcome to the club Corny. I've had my pair for years and love em to death. I'm currently collecting many of the great Cornwall Modifications I've seen on the Forum over the past year for massive rebuilding next summer. Will share all this info soon.

Grill's are held on with several Velcro tabs, just use a flat object, like plastic non-sharp object like putty knife to pry it off. Hint- after you show off the majestic Cornwall components a few dozen times, the grills will come off a lot easier.