WOW now this is a massive car sub

Tweek

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4061_35327,00.html?compName=PNA_ProductDetailComponent

and congrats Pioneer on the SPL world record with the sub!!

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/article/0,,2076_15019826_56825958,00.html

one of thoes alone would probably make any normal car drag on the ground hehehe not to mention rattle it to complete destruction.... 9.gif

That pioneer is similar in design to the JL audio w7 series with the surround installed over the driver mounting bolts / screws. It certainly is a deep woofer, with the basket extending over the magnetic structure.

It is however, very inefficient, coming in at 88 db/w/m. It's sole purpose is to play loud and deep in a small enclosure, while requiring thousands of watts and hundreds of amperes of current to feed equally massive amplifiers. I am not knocking it, just there are so many choices out there. Sound quality is priamry in my books, not just maximun thermal power handling.

If Db drag racing is your lust, then these may be fine for you. If loud, accurate bass is what you are after, then leave these at the showroom.

nah db drag isnt my lust, i just thought it was cool that Pioneers first attempt at a killer sub and they managed to take the world record

i go for sound quality over loudness, well actually its a little bit mixed, i like sound quality and loud enough for me to enjoy it

since i primarily listen to punk rock, i tend to stay away from larger subwoofers with insane stroke length, 10" subs with super light weight cones and awesome sealed enclosure performance is what i look for.

also subs that add 100lbs to the back of my car dont really float my boat either 3.gif

one of my friends uses a Image Dynamics IDQ10 D4 V.2 in a custom sealed enclosure with 150w amp which sounds absolutely amazing playing punk, its so tight

6.gif whoa, talk about going to the car audio extreme...

did you read the details of that truck that won the record? stuff like 2.5" thick plexiglass windshield...doors that weigh 200lb each...72 batteries????

man, that is a lot of money to sink into a truck that is essentially useless outside of competition.

that being said, i would have liked to experience what 172 dB would feel like, even if it isn't clean...i can imagine painful as the controls are made to crank it up from the outside of the truck. ha!

----------------

On 5/12/2004 10:14:08 AM tankhokie wrote:

that is a lot of money to sink into a truck that is essentially useless outside of competition.

----------------

As useless as a drag car at getting groceries. 2.gif

It's just for the sport... ever see how ugly a db car looks with the plexi windows... 14.gif

yeah no doubt dude, there was a local competition near me when i loved in Florida, i went with a few friends and someone that wanted to see how well his car could do, man there were some really ugly cars there, gutted cars with only a drivers seat and super thick windows, nasty looking enclosures and tons of wires, definatly just a sport.

my friend managed a 137.6db run for overall loudness with his Clarion/Image Dynamics setup, he would have done SPL deathmatch but he didnt want to destroy his sub, besides a 10" IDQ wouldnt beable to touch some of the systems that were there, people put way way to much money into that stuff.

dB drags are just as bad as thoes competitions where you put air bags in cars or trucks and try to jump the front end as high as it will go, there is usually nothing in thoes vehicles, not even an engine, seems like a total waste of money to me

Big deal,these monster SPL systems are designed to play one note only.80Hz at full blast and little else,no big deal when you stuff a dozen ultra long throw super duty woofers in a small closed space and power them with many kilowatts...you get eardrun destroying SPL.

Anyone who wants to hear what anything above 140dB sounds like is deaf or does not know his little fragile eardrums would be destroyed by a systained SPL of 140dB and above.

JL Audio makes the world's best woofers for car subwoofer duty,best quality.Pioneer has nothing new here,as MTX,Kicker and a few other make extra duty SPL competition woofers also extreme.

This record will not stand and some will break it using another new woofer design.

I'm not into car stereo much, but do have an interest in specifications. They stated in one of the above links that it supplied 115,200 watts, using a bunch of 16V batteries. Assuming they don't set things up in series, which may be a big assumption, correct me if I'm wrong, that would be a 7,200 ampure output. Pretty damn impressive, regardless of how bad it sounds at other frequencies than those used for testing. Maybe that's de rigure for these type things, never been interested in them, but seems like a lot of amps to me!!!

that being said, i would have liked to experience what 172 dB would feel like, even if it isn't clean...i can imagine painful as the controls are made to crank it up from the outside of the truck. ha!
----------------

Actually, with hearing protection, it's not painful at all. What you have to look out for though is that bass is so low and loud, it can actually cause you to stop breathing!!!!! Painful?! NO.... Deadly?! MAYBE!

I wonder how that Pioneer would compare to my freshly installed Rockford Fosgate RF3115 15" Power HX2 sub. It has a 4" voice coil and can handle musical peaks over 2000 watts. I'm only running 1500 watts to it though.

Actually, with hearing protection, it's not painful at all. What you have to look out for though is that bass is so low and loud, it can actually cause you to stop breathing!!!!! Painful?! NO.... Deadly?! MAYBE!

very well put chops

chops,

This single 15" bruiser should be all the subwoofin any non deaf human needs in a car.When you use a long throw monster like this powered by a serious amp...you can reach with ease over 125dB in the driver seat.Brain shaker deluxe 1.gif

----------------

On 5/11/2004 10:47:23 PM michael hurd wrote:

It is however, very inefficient, coming in at 88 db/w/m.

----------------

Mine is 87 dB @ 1W/1M.

Did I mention this thing is over 40lbs by itself??!!! 6.gif

I have mine tuned and built more for what they call "SQL", not just SQ or SPL. Although I'm still in the break-in period, I can tell I've made the right choices. 16.gif

----------------

On 5/12/2004 9:08:06 PM TheEAR wrote:

chops,

This single 15" bruiser should be all the subwoofin any non deaf human needs in a car.When you use a long throw monster like this powered by a serious amp...you can reach with ease over 125dB in the driver seat.Brain shaker deluxe
1.gif

----------------

125dB??!!

Please, I already pegged out my Rat-Shack SPL meter at 130+ dB without even trying. I was just doing some testing and tuning, then the next track started before I could get to the volume! OOPS!

Anyway, I decided to let it play at that volume as I climbed out of my car, looked at how much the sub was moving in the trunk, and was majorly surprised!! So far, I've only seen this sub move maybe a quarter of an inch max!!

This was WAY, WAY louder than I would ever play it normally. Personally, I can't stand super loud music in a car, but I just wanted to make sure I had something that can handle anything I throw at it. 9.gif

----------------

On 5/12/2004 7:41:53 PM chops wrote:

..."And yes, that is a pair of Cardas interconnects!"

----------------

I was wonderin' where my spare Cardas interconnects disappeared to!7.gif