soldering

jpm

I picked up a set of Monster flat 14 Ga. speaker wire. I bought the std. $7 Radio Shack soldering gun with silver-looking solder and soldered the ends (smooth job, not lumpy) to connect to my amp and speakers. Is this an okay way to do it. BTW, I don't buy into the expensive wire/connector theory. My name isn't Gates.

----------------

On 5/13/2004 2:38:16 PM Scp53 wrote:

will this affect sound quality in any way???

scp53

----------------

well the cables will be less likely to wiggle out and they are much easier to put in this way...if that qualifies as quality, then yes. but besides that, you are going to hear no difference in sound. i doubt you could even measure an electrical difference in how well the cable conducts.

You should use a high quality solder, typically known as 'silver solder' used for electronics. It's not usually 100% silver, just a % of it is.

The soldering iron (or gun) tip should be "tinned" with this type of solder & will have to periodically be re-tinned during use in order to transfer maximum heat efficiently.

The basic idea is that the material(s) you are trying to solder should be hot enough to melt the solder. Don't just melt the solder into the parts being soldered. This will usually result in what is known as a "cold joint" which will appear somewhat dull instead of nice & shiney.

Using a high quality solder flux to clean the iron tip & wires/connectors is also a good idea & generaly will make the solder job go faster & easier. Rosin core solders accomplish this to some extent. I 'dip' the wires/connectors into the flux before tinning them. And then after they are tinned (just like the iron tip), you can get a fast, solid, shinney joint.