8 Subwoofers, To much?

DwK

I got bored today at school, and decided to design a tight HT setup.

Started with a Square piece of paper, and added the speakers.

Using RF-7 Mains, RF-7 Front effects, RF-7 Rears, 2 RF-7 for front center, and 1 RF-7 for rear center.

As for the subwoofers.

Note** I like bass.. I like strong, loud, clean, smooth healthy bass.

2 SVS CS's on front channel.

2 SVS CS's on rear channel.

2 HGS 18's under the Couch on the Front effect channels.

The HGS's are so you can "feel" the bass. And since they are on the Effects channel, it wont be all the time, or quite as hard as with the other subwoofers.

Ofcorse, each wubwoofer would have seperate controls.

Used 2 RF-7's as Front Center, because I realy like to hear the people. And using 2 I thought would fill the front sound stage better and make it more real. They would lay horizontaly underneither the Screen (for projector).

As soon as I get Photoshop up and running, I will draw a pic of it, and post.

Give me your thoughts please.

Oh, and the total system would cost about 62,000$

9 RF-7's, 4 SVS CS's, 2 HGS 18's, Projector + couch, stands, screen. And the Amps 2 7.1 Yamaha Amps for bi amping. Denon DVD player.

------------------

Living Room:

Yamaha Natural Sound A-500 Stereo Amplifier

2 Klipsch Heresys on A switch

2 Fisher STV-873 on B switch

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

Picture

HT1.jpg

what yall think?

------------------

Living Room:

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

Wavey.gif DwK Wavey.gif Jo-Jo Wavey.gif BEWARE THE STANDING WAVES!

Wow, DwK, you sure must be in to standing waves. By placing your subs and larger speakers in the corners, you increase the chance of cancellation by opposing waves of the same frequency... and putting Velo HGS 18" under the couch would make that couch rather high... Is Jo-Jo really over 7' tall? "under the sofa" just think how high the sofa would have to be. You asked if eight subs were too much. Where are you hiding the other two subs? Well six subs could be, but not because of how much sound they make... but how much they would turn to silence.

Subwoofers can be so effective in canceling sound that the U.S. Navy has used them to eliminate the sound from noisy air conditioning units to avoid detection from hostile subs.

A better plan would be to group your subs in a good corner... and more than two would only be necessary if you had a huge ballroom to fill up with first and second octave sound. Building a system that can crank out really low bass waves with multiple large speakers takes some doing to come off well.

Also, two center RF7's would not have the vocal clarity of one RC7... due to the latter's tapered array. An RC7 has two woofers and one rolls off just before it reaches the range of vocal frequencies... listening to one speaker for dialogue is generally much preferred. Actually, for tone & timbre matching purposes, why not put RC7's as mains and center as PhilH suggested (at least I thought it was PhilH).

Also, your side/surround speakers should probably be pushed back closer to your "sweet spot"

INHO, keep an eye on the htexpert's posts... and you will find more speaker power is not particularly effective speaker power. Check out a book on acoustics (there were some good ones posted a few weeks ago) and let us all know how we can do better. Smile.gif~ HornEd

Hmmm, maybe you can even show me how to make that little green smiley with the darting tongue behave.

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-11-2001 at 07:26 PM

Thanks for the info on the waves, cancleation thing.

I have rethought the the design Smile.gif

I'll have new pictures soonish

------------------

Living Room:

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

• 1 month later...

Stevie Ray Dude... Imax (including Omniplex) is no match for a serious Klipscher. Because of my past and living within the reaches of Silicon Valley, I am frequently invited to special presentations at the local upscale Imax... and sound-wise it can't hold a candle to the Klipsch system I have at home. And, with a large screen HDTV and a progressive scan DVD player that plays my own CDR productions... some of the visual stuff is better here too.

I just finished watching the latest "Chocolat" DVD... the flick was so memorable (I used to live, work and study in France) that I broke out the Hershey bars for a little in-depth decadence.

Sure, the Omni has "36.8" system... but I have an "8.2" system and a whole lot smaller room to fill with glorious Klipsch Sound and SVS Bass that exceeds Dolby Digital Reference Standards (121.5dB). And there are folks on this board that also beat Imax with Blissful K-horns and hearty Heritage speakers galore that also make a trip to the Imax a step down.

Yesterday I "sort of" had my first RF7 experience. The speakers were big (by the new "little" standards) and beautiful (by most standards). Unfortunately, they were being featured in an HT setting with an RC-3 handling more than 65% of the sound, no subwoofer, and a pair of non-Reference WDST speakers blaring from the back. You can bet who ever set it up has no idea of what a Radio Shack SPL meter is. Unfortunately, they claimed that there was no way to play the RF7's as a two channel system.

Well, I may believe in Santa Clause AND the Easter Bunny... but I am a little skeptical of these would-be "experts." When I told them that I had six KLF 30 Legends as my primary speakers, the salesman said that I would forget all about my KLH speakers when I heard Klipsch! When I called his attention to the truth... he was amazed... never heard of KLF 30's! Hmm, so then how could he know the Ref7's were better? He went to the Klipsch Dog & Pony Show for Good Guys!

cwm40.gifAt least he didn't suggest Bose for the motorhome... LOL HornEd

------------------

"Where Legends Live! Klipsch Powered HT"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 Center, KLF 30 Mains, KLF 10 Front Effects

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 L&R Side/Surrounds, KLF 30 Rear Effects

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra sub with Samson Megawatt Amp

SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

Toshiba Pro SD6200, Toshiba Pro 6-head SVHS W808

and such... Tweakin' On!

Music Respite Room: Cornwalls & Custom SVS 16-46 Sub, Monarchy amps, etc. (in the making)

Klipsched Motorhome: SB2's, KLF C-7, (rounded out, for now, with vintage Infinity, Sony Receiver, Yamaha 5-disc DVD/CD-996) with a lot more testing to go...

This message has been edited by HornEd on 08-21-2001 at 07:54 PM

• 3 weeks later...

Right on HornEd,a well balanced Klipsch system with good amplification and great susbs will outperform just about any movie theater.

I am in the process of seting up my second HT system,I just got the RF-5's and will get the RF-7's and RC-7 as soon as Klipsch sends them to Canadian dealers(or as soon as they can order them).

I reconfigured my sound systems this weekend.Lots of moving,the amps are killing my back.DUH

My main HT system now is an all Dynaudio Contour setup(minus the subs).The mains are the Contour 3.3,Contour Ceneter for you guessed center and Contour 1.1's serve sourround duties.

The subs are the Aerial Acoustics SW12(I can pit this sub against your Ultra,bass quality that is)and the Revel B15.I matched the two subs so they work as a team and not against each other.

The heart of this system is for now the Denon 5800 used as a pre/pro only(was used with my main conputer system LOL).The amps are all SimAudio Celeste.The 4250 drives the mains,the 4150 the sourrounds and the 4070 bridged mono drives the center.

The room is treated so I get most of these wonderful speakers.The result makes all visitors pause and just marvel.Pure music and when Gladiator or the Matrix is in the DVD its breathtaking.Sound so good no movie theater is even close.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

the ear, what do u think of acurus amps? i just ordered their A200X5 off ubid yet to arrive. did it blind from reviews, rep & opinions & they seemed like a great deal in clearance from ubid.

like u i've heard many different seperates & think the amps really make the most audible dif for source. sounds like u like your denon as a preamp. thinking of getting that new denon 4802 as a preamp for 5 & amp for

a rear center only. whatta u think?

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect/Monster MCX-2 biwire & Z cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Monster HTS1000 PowerCenter

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Monster MCX-1 Biwire

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

rock on!

Acurus makes good power amps.The 200*5 should deliver the extra power and give you a much better grip(control)then any reciever can.This is the end means better sound.And is this not what any Klipsch owner is after?

I am quite sold to Denon recievers,prefer them to Yamaha.Its a personal choice.Both are great sounding recievers.Marantz and B&K also make very high class units.

The 4802 is a smaller 5800.Notice the central toroid and heatsinks on the sides.Like the 5800.The built quality is good and you have all the features you need for a great HT system.Even the internam amps are ok!

Of course the Acurus will outperform even the 5800 amp section with relative ease.

As you noticed I like ATI amps,superb value for the dollar.The 1505 is a 5 x 225W @ 4 ohms and the 2505 will give 5 x 375 @ 4 ohms!Power to feed any hungry speakers.I plan to go bi amping as soon as I complete the Klipsch RF series HT system.

The ATI 1505 will power the upper range and the 2505 the lower! Think about the power and freedom from any peaking.This may be too much but its my way of doing things. Smile.gif

Back to Denon recievers,even the 3802 can serve as the centerpiece od a good HT system if paired with say at least an Outlaw 5 channel power amp.

So your Acurus is a great choice and with the Denon 4802 I dont see how you may need much more.

TheEAR(s) Now theears