anyone seen this thing yet?

----------------

On 5/16/2004 2:47:16 AM 007 wrote:

I don’t care for alienware, but it seems like the first product to actually tie pc's to home theater "officially"

----------------

Looks intriquing. Would be a good way for somebody that wants something like this if they don't want to build one themselves.

That is a something I may still eventually do is to build myself an "HT PC".

FYI, this month's MaximumPC (June) magazine has an extensive how to article on how to build a Media Server PC that will let you stream music and video into any room in your house.

Gateway makes a HTPC that got some good reviews. It looks pretty sweet, has various buttons for play,stop, fast forward right on the front of a case, and comes built in with some basic PVR functions (pausing live tv, timeshifting via a scheduler) from windows media center edition. Comes with a pretty nice keyboard and mouse (I've used the k&m combo) and a decent looking remote. The mouse doesnt need to be on a surface to work, it has a gyroscope and works in the air.

For someone who wouldn't want to build their own, the gateway solution likes a more "out of the box" solution than the alienware, although I couldn't find as much information on the alien ware.

One such review: of the Gateway box:

http://htpcnews.com/main.php?id=gateway901_1

-mkl

Yeah... it is somewhat of an htpc, but it was originally designed to be a console for pc games.(kind of an oxymoron isnt it?). If you're really looking for an htpc, you could build a better equipped one for way less, and I think you can still buy that neat looking case.