RC7 center crossover in RF3ii speaker - review

twhite

I was curious about what would happen, yesterday I took the ciruit out of the reference 7 center and stuck it in the RF3ii. In the end I found the sound less appealing.

The base was much deeper and just as sharp, nice improvement. But, the Midrange was lower pitched, like having a slightly deeper voice. And the treble was distant.

It's like the mid-highs and highs needed to be louder, in order to compensate for the increase base.

I was pleased that the high's were much calmer, and the vocals seem smoother. But overall it was lacking...

Everything is back to normal..

Troy

huh ho... i may be wrong, dude, but I think you could have burned your tweeters doing that! I don't know that much about the Reference serie but I think generally speaking it's not a good idea to swap crossovers if the cross-over frequency isn't going to be the same. Now maybe it IS the same in that case, i don't know, but you should be careful.

Just my two pences...1.gif

That was a strange thing you did Troy, what in the heck possessed you to do that? The tweeters are different, the woofers are different, and the boxes are different. Crossovers are designed and optimized to work with a particular tweeter/midrange/woofer/box/port combination. If you want to smooth things out, as well gaining some of other nice things out of those -- you need to upgrade your crossover components. Better yet -- keep saving for those RF-7s!