JBL LE175 in place of K-77?

fini

Have any of you tried this? I have a pair of LE175's with the 1290 horns (in a Barzilay cabinet), and I've been wondering how they'd sound in my '77 Khorns. Would the AA's need to be modded?

I can't say as well as the experts Fini, but I am in the midst of a JBL speaker build so I have captured some information:

1. The LE 175 is basically the JBL 2410 with specs saying it has a frequency range of 500hz to 15Khz. If you look at the graphs it does seem to drop rather fast around 12khz, but supplemented with a tweeter would be just fine. The biggest problem may well be the low end - JBL suggests a Xover of 800hz or higher for this driver.

2. The LE 175 is a listed as 16 ohms, so at this point alone there would need to be Xover modification. You could couple the 175 with a 2505 slot tweeter from JBL (or probably even the 2404 baby cheeks) and use something akin to the JBL N1200 passive crossover and take care of most the HF stuff.

3. The horn you have is probably the 1217 (I think 1290 refers to the slotted diffuser face). I think (here it gets hard to find specs) that this horn is built for something near a 1200hz crossover. That could be an interesting delimma.

4. This is personal opinion - I do not hear any enhancement from the diffusser on the front of that horn (actually it starts sounding muted to me). It is my ear's opinion only.

I think that the Xover would require extensive work and that you would have an issue with how low the driver/horn/lens combination can get in a Khorn environment. However, a very trusted source once told me that Fostex built for a back loaded horn would sound lousy in a sealed box. They were wrong for my application as I may be for yours.

Ask the folks here - they may be very helpful:

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=1