Pics of my latest sub - Dayton DVC12

fabulousfrankie

This was built for my parents basement, they originally wanted to buy a $99 KLH sub for a 10,000ft^3 basement, I told them I'd build them a sub instead. Output was the priority, not extension.

It is a vented Dayton DVC12 with a 250W plate amp. Internal volume is 4.2ft^3 and it's tuned to 25Hz. External dimensions are 23"(H)x18"(W)x23"(D). It has two internal braces and the internal walls are lined with polyfill.

I'm going to take it into work(Tweeter), I was guessing it would be better than everything(output wise) at the store except for the Martin Logan Depth($1800 retail). I know it's not fair to compare subs unless side by side, but with my DVC12 having the disadvantage of being in a room that's ~3X the size of what's at work it seems to have more impact and booty shaking ability.

Here are some pics. One roll of the vinyl laminate wasn't enough so I left the back unfinished. Instead of buying a new roll just for the back I might just paint it black with the truck bed liner I have left over from my sonosubs. I put the sub on the back of the enclosure because the cork surround had come off and it looked ugly.

Being clamped

Unfinished

Looking at a port through amp hole

Unfinished backside

Side with amp

Front shot

I tried to keep price as low as possible, here are the cost details:

$89 - MCM 250W plate amp(no longer on sale)

$65 - used Dayton DVC12

$30 - MDF

$14 - cherry vinyl laminate

$8 - dual 3" flared ports(11.5" length)

----------------------------------------------------------------

$206 = Total cost

Wow, 206 bucks for a powerd sub with that kinda finish? Looks good to me. I may add one little thing to it but nothing big. The only think extra I would of done with that budget is to gloss it up. I do realize it would make it more prone to finger prints but when cleaned up looks nice. I will admit you do good work. It would be cool to have you next door to help me with progects like that. Althought with a bigger budget, I would of done a PR box. Not knocking your box at all, as everything I would add just drives up the price which is something you didn't want to do. I hope it sounds at least as good at it looks.

CD

----------------

On 5/18/2004 11:35:36 AM cdsang wrote:

Wow, 206 bucks for a powerd sub with that kinda finish? Looks good to me. I may add one little thing to it but nothing big. The only think extra I would of done with that budget is to gloss it up. I do realize it would make it more prone to finger prints but when cleaned up looks nice. I will admit you do good work. It would be cool to have you next door to help me with progects like that. Althought with a bigger budget, I would of done a PR box. Not knocking your box at all, as everything I would add just drives up the price which is something you didn't want to do. I hope it sounds at least as good at it looks.

CD----------------

Picky, picky aren't we3.gif.

I used the cheap vinyl stick on veneer so there's really nothing I can do to make it glossy. If I used real wood veneer I sure would have made the finish glossy.

Performance wise I think it's a fair to estimate it's performance would be similar to a SVS 25-31PCi or Hsu VTF-3. I have close to the same amount of power and I have a slightly more internal volume than both of them with may lead to an extra dB or two down low. I'm taking it to the Tweeter I work at on Thursday to see how it compares with what we have in the store. While we sell Velo's DD series and all the Martin Logan subs we don't have all of them in the store. The best I'll have in the store to compare it to is the Velo SPL1000II and the Martin Logan Depth.

I did the last of the little bit of work I had to do on it yesterday. Instead of ordering more vinyl laminate for the baffle, I just used the last of the truck bed liner I had from the last subs I used it on. This thing is also very heavy so I put 4 Magic Sliders as feet(from Home Depot). Here are a few more pics:

Installed feet make it easy to move

Baffle finished with truck bed liner

(This picture was deliberately taken without a flash so it is more indicative of the actual color.)

you can use news paper? cool6.gif1.gif

have you played this yet, I don't think you've said how it sounds. Im planning on build a subwoofer with a 15inch DVC woofer. I started a new thread(under powered subwoofers) and have some questions about building it. maybe you could read it and help me out9.gif

scp53