What's the best way to clear up old metal gear

thebes

I've got a little cubbyhole in my basement that I'm in the proces of filling up with old 70's/80's amplifiers and receivers. (industrial art on the cheap with the added benefit that I'll be able to swap out the gear for different sounds every few weeks) Most of the gear has solid metal fronts and I was wondering what's best to use to clean/polish that won't remove lettering etc. Any suggestions?

well i supposed it'd depend on what kind of metal they were and what kind of "dirt" is on them. it'd prob also depend on how the lettering is put on the metal.

I would suggest trying something like windex to start out with.

thebes:

As DrWho suggests, Windex does do a nice clean-up job on metal, especially chromed aluminum, steel and the like. But it should be used sparingly as not to allow it to run into and cracks as Windex contains ammonia, which is corrosive to ferrious-based metal parts and electrical connections. Be sure to spray it onto your cloth and not directly onto your components.

Hoggy mentions silicone spray, which should also do a good job, depending on what you use it on. However, be sure that it is 100% silicone spray because if it is not and it contains any type of oil base, it can remove the painted lettering and it may also attack any plastic parts making them either melt, turn brittle or eventually crack. I am a plastics designer in the automotive field. I recommend that you avoid using products on your sound equipment such as WD-40, Armor-all type gloss enhancers and Furniture polishes that contain lemon oil. The citric acid will not only remove painted lettering, it's great for removing chrome-plating from styrene plastic. It's not that these products aren't good for what they were designed. It's just that they have their places to be used and electronics gear is not one of them.

So, what do I suggest? A very mild soap (not laundry or dishwashing liquid) and warm water mixture on a lightly-moistened cotton cloth. Be sure to buff dry with a clean, dry cloth. Find an old, clean, unused toothbrush and lightly moisten it with the above mixture and use it to get into the hard to reach places of the equipment and to clean any coarsly-stippled (grained) areas, making sure not to get moisture into the electronics. You could even use the toothbrush carefully in combination with either the Windex or the 100% Pure silicone spray. Simply spray it directly on the brush and go to town: an old car detailer's trick!

For a last resort: If you have some chrome-plated steel that is pitted or some rust marks are showing, carefully rub the chrome only with a very small amount of "Brasso" Brand chrome cleaner (or equivalent) on a cotton towel. Be sure not to get it on anything else. Buff clean with a clean cotton towel. Do not use this method on chrome-plated plastic as it is abrasive! Best of luck!

Thanks a lot for all the info guys. I'll take it in stages and slowly work my way up the ladder to getting them clean. By the way, any brand names for 100% silicone?

Well I use this stuff I get from the Harley Davidson dealer. It's not called silicon spray though that's what the base is. It's used to spray on the black crinkle cases etc, including plastic parts and is actually good for the paint. I'm out right now so don't know the name. If I remember right it's a S-1 product.

You might look in auto parts stores. Just read the can and make sure it contains no oils although to date I have not had any problems concering a small amount of oil base but I don't/didn't know any better than just now when I read picky's response.

hoggy

hoggy: Although I'm a designer, I'm certainly no chemist. 9.gif I don't know it that crinkle paint you speak of is a heat-resistive paint or what, but, I'd say based on your testimony, if you've had great luck with it and it doesn't tear up the paint then go-for-it thebes!! Just be careful around any of the screen-printed lettering that might be on the equipment face.

Well I certainly wouldn't want to mess anyone up with any recommendation I made. I just know it's worked fine for me. One thing I do know for sure is whatever one uses make darn sure it has no abrasives in it.

hoggy

The best stuff that I ever used and still do is a product called NEVR-DULL. It is a cotton wadding with some sort of oil penetrated into the cotton. Cost $3.00 a can. You can find it at any local hardware store and polishes all metals. Try it you will like it2.gif

Hah! Memories! We used Nevr-Dull in the Navy to polish our brass belt buckles! I think I still have a can in the garage. It primarliy contains the same basic ingredients as Brasso and yes, it does work nicely on bare metal. It is lightly abrasive like Brasso (jeweler's rouge I believe).