DVI Cable? Is it worth it?

Buffalo

I am wiring my basement and need to know if it is worth running a DVI cable ($200) or am I fine with just a High quality component cable? THe DVI, I believe is for audio and video, and since the audio won't be coming from the TV is the video any better than a component cable?

No, DVI is not for audio, it is designed to carry a digital video signal, hense its name Digital Video Interface (DVI).

Normally DVI should be better than component, but in reality there are cases when component might be advantageos. Also, DVI has limitation in the max run length. I dont remember exactly what is the max length for a DVI cable, perhaps someone else will chime in (was it 15 feet???). For longer runs they offer optical DVI cables, but those are really expensive (around $800).

Now, that was all theory, but a more accurate answer will be possible if you would share more information avout your setup - source, display, distance, etc.

I agree with Taurus. Seems like I've heard about length of DVI being a factor. I did my own little test with my HD tv here. First ran component from my HD tuner and then tried DVI. I couldn't tell a difference. I kept the DVI cable though, psychologically it just seemed better to be running it.

It's also worth it, because you might need it in the future. There has even been talk of Manufacturers "down-rezzing" the analog (e.g. component) outputs from their boxes. You just never know. Might be a good idea to run an HDMI cable as well, just in case.

Just to add, there is a version of DVI that carries audio... Or maybe I should say another newer version, called HDMI, that carries both audio and video. It is starting to appear on some newer components and uses a different connector. It is backward compatible with DVI. Here is a link... http://www.bettercables.com/dimatdvihd.html

Or you can go here http://www.avsforum.com and do a search for "HDMI" to find additional information.

Actually, it is Digital Visual Interface. If you are looking for a reasonably priced source of DVI cables, check this site out.

http://www.pacificcable.com/dvi.htm

I bought one of their DVI cables and it seems to be very nice quality. I have read that only certain types of TVs can really benefit from DVI such as plasmas and some others. Apparently the standard RPTV has to convert it to analog thus defeating the "keeping in the digital domain" advantage.

----------------

On 5/19/2004 12:58:00 PM markmaple wrote:

Actually, it is Digital Visual Interface. If you are looking for a reasonably priced source of DVI cables, check this site out.

I bought one of their DVI cables and it seems to be very nice quality. I have read that only certain types of TVs can really benefit from DVI such as plasmas and some others. Apparently the standard RPTV has to convert it to analog thus defeating the "keeping in the digital domain" advantage.

----------------

best prices and selection i have found!!!!!!

component-especially at longer lengths-is a better choice unless DVI is required then you will wish you had it.

i would (and have) run it just in case.

avman.

No offense, but that doesn't make sense.

A DVI cable is a digital transmition meaning no signal degrading; you simply get either a perfect picture or none. A component cable, on the otherhand, is analog and _can_ degrade over a distance. It would seem to me that DVI would be the sure choice over longer distances, not Component.

But then the real advantage to digital interfaces is the future compatiblity. Next gen HD-DVD players are planning to send HD content over digital feeds only for encryption and anti-piracy reasons. If you want this setup to last I'd definately suggest putting some kind of digital feed in the run as a must.

My question is, why can http://www.pacificcable.com/dvi.htm sell hi-quality DVI cables for great prices, but Monster wants $100-400+ for the same things? Digital is digital, either it will work or not, no 'color loss' or 'static' or anything like that. Computer monitors are hooked up with this 'cheap' stuff and are far more critical than any home video monitor.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

If you disagree me, when I get my subwoofer, I have my eye on a nice Monster 400 sub cable (I get a 'great' deal), so I am not anti-cable.

----------------

On 5/19/2004 5:08:12 PM Grand11 wrote:

No offense, but that doesn't make sense.

A DVI cable is a digital transmition meaning no signal degrading; you simply get either a perfect picture or none. A component cable, on the otherhand, is analog and _can_ degrade over a distance. It would seem to me that DVI would be the sure choice over longer distances, not Component.

But then the real advantage to digital interfaces is the future compatiblity. Next gen HD-DVD players are planning to send HD content over digital feeds only for encryption and anti-piracy reasons. If you want this setup to last I'd definately suggest putting some kind of digital feed in the run as a must.

----------------

no offense taken,but the fact is that DVI has a limited distance specification and i have run component(via coax cable)over 50ft. without any problems.

also,try pricing a 50ft.DVI cable vs. 3-50ft.coax cables.

in my professional opinion,DVI should be used when you have to (up-converting dvd players like bravo and samsung) or when/if they use hdcp and down-res component hd video intentionally,and only if you have a fixed-pixel display...otherwise,save your $$'s.

avman.