Upgrading, how to match?

schwock5

I am moving out of a college apartment. Currently i have the Klipsch QUintet with the KS 12 subwoofer (the down-firing one). I am keeping it for my bedroom in the new place, but now that i'll have a common room with a new HDTV, i am going to upgrade to the RF-35 series all the way around. Could i keep this downfiring subwoofer, or should i buy the reference subwoofer that is suggested with this system? I believe it costs around $750. What is the difference between these 12" subs, and will it be really noticable if i keep this cheaper downfiring 12" sub?

Just to clarify, I have a Denon 3802, and most likely will upgrade to the 3805, that way my Cable HDTV, DVD player, and all my video game systems going through an HDTV system selector can all just go thorugh 1 TV input, plus all up-signaling of S-video and composite cables. Is that reciever a good match for the RF-35 series? I am also looking into a higher end Denon DVD player, as right now i have a $150 sony (progressive, probably crappy) DVD player which i'll keep up in my bedroom for lazy quick flicks.

I mostly watch movies, and all my music audio comes through my PC via external 5.1 input (MP3s at 128) and i listen mostly to metal, so the speakers are mostly for movies.

Bass is what you make of it 1.gif If you want wall shattering bass then you need woofers to back it up. There are not a lot of tricks here. Some companies offer better bang for the buck than others and some can get great bass from small boxes. However every room responds to bass differently I would suggest that you use your current subwoofer for a bit and see if you can live with it. Of course if money is no object then by all means get the new sub.

Here is a good example. I have 3 SVS woofers in my media room. I have a ranch style single story house on a slab with no basement. I friend of mine has a single 10" in his theater on the second floor of his house and gets almost the same amount of bass from it. Room tuning and materials will affect the sound more than anything.

Laters,

Jeff

----------------

On 5/21/2004 9:55:32 PM schwock5 wrote:

I am moving out of a college apartment. Currently i have the Klipsch QUintet with the KS 12 subwoofer (the down-firing one). I am keeping it for my bedroom in the new place, but now that i'll have a common room with a new HDTV, i am going to upgrade to the RF-35 series all the way around. Could i keep this downfiring subwoofer, or should i buy the reference subwoofer that is suggested with this system? I believe it costs around $750. What is the difference between these 12" subs, and will it be really noticable if i keep this cheaper downfiring 12" sub?

----------------

I own the rw12 and I know for a fact that it will blow the ksw12 away. I also own the rf15's and can't imagine having anything less for the sub. The retail is $650 but you should be able to get it for much less.

Wow, thanks a lot guys. On Acoustic Sound Design.com, theyr'e offering the RF-35 package (fronts, center, and surrounds of 35 series) plus the RW 10 sub for around $1750, upgrading to the 12 is around 1800, and upgrading tot he RSW series SUB 10" would be 2000 i think, with the denon 3805 and the DVD2900, it's around 4 grand all together, if i get teh RSW 10" sub, not a bad package i think. Plus they observe all warranties. Any comments?