help picking a flat screen

sdfan

----------------

On 6/3/2004 10:52:37 AM skillet2003 wrote:

Are CRT televisions marketed as CRT's or is there another name for it, could someone give me an example of a CRT TV. I'm looking at the 70' Grand WEGA from Sony and it looks impressive (unsure if its CRT, doubt it) considering retail is only $7000 it is much less expensive than plasma that are even smaller.

----------------

Skillet, there are two type of CRT televisons. Direct View CRT's and

Rear Projection CRT's. Both use cathode-ray tubes. The direct views

are the standard glass tv's that's been around forever. They are

limited to 40" screen size due to the weight of the glass. Direct

View TV's provide the clearest picture and is great in all lighting

conditions. Rear Projection CRT's which do not have glass screens

are in sizes over 40". While very good, they do not have the picture

quality of the Direct View and require darker rooms.

are typically

I've looked and the Grand Wegas and a friend of mine has one - I think they are a nice alternative to regular projection televisions and not nearly as expensive as plasma.

For some one who has to have a big screen they are great, but like projection TVs they don't look as good if your not at a safe distance, (i.e. make sure the room is big enough - ask your sony dealer for details).

The one thing I advise you look into is the technology, what are the risks or problems such as bulbs burning out or issues with the display that you can run into with a plasma or LCD. It shouldn't matter though, the Grand Wega is Sony's flagship right now and they will take care of you.

I'm partial to Sony Picture Tubes, but if it must be a big screen the Grand Wega is good, please .. please go look for yourself in person ... its a big TV and like picking speakers that sound good to your ear .... picking a TV is all about what looks good to your eye.

Hope this helps .. Have Fun

Go to their home page, they have lots of differnet models of all different sizes.

http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/

----------------

On 6/3/2004 12:05:01 PM skillet2003 wrote:

I have looked at Mitsubishi but I only see a 65' and 82' tv prices are $3,700 to $15,500 respectively. I think I would like something inbetween the two. They use to make a 72' for the same price as the new 70' from Sony if not a little bit cheaper but are no longer made (only 2002-2003), I think you can still buy it, but I think that would be a bad idea since they no longer made.

----------------

Preface: When you start getting into the monster size that you're talking about 70" or larger you have to realize the picture will not be as good as my 30" XBR and that's just the way it is. But you'll have a huge *** TV and that can be cool. Its like going to a movie you don't get pissed during a movie because the picture quality isn't as good as the TV you have at home do you? (I do, but I'm a little crazy)

That being said lets continue to your latest question...

I'm assuming you mean projectors & screens not projection TVs.

Yea, I've looked at them as well and considering that this is for an actual home theatre that might be a good choice. They look like the picture you see in a movie theatre which is fine is thats what you want. Just don't let someone tell you that the picture will be just as good as a tube..... It might be better than some junk projection TVs ... but thats not saying much.

I've seen that 70" grand wega TV in person it is insane ... its just so big.

Sorry getting back to projectors, I know there is a big variation in price from high to low as well as with the screen. When your doing something like the home theatre work you're suggesting and you have the cash you don't want to mess around - find a professional in your area and get the job done right the first time.

Projectors can be very sharp. Alot I have seen are High Def., but

they can bee very expensive. The latest edition of sound and vision

performed a test of three or four projectors ranging in price from

$4,000 to $10,000. Screen size is typically 100". If I was making

a hoime theater room I would definitly take a look at projectors.

The most bang for you but is definitly Rear projection, however the

70" Soney is around $7,000. In that range you should be able to get a

very good projector and screen. Just food for thought.