Bottoming, Port Noise, or Clipping

Can someone explain how to audibly tell the difference between these three? I have a Denon 4802 that has a subwoofer peak limiter. When you run this test, it plays a low frequency sound and you are supposed to keep turning up the volume on the reciever until it distorts. Once it distorts, you press "enter" on the remote which will prevent the sub from distorting in the future.

I was doing this test on my SVS PC+ 2039 and kept turning the volume up. It started getting extremely lound and shaking the hell out of my house, and then I heard a quick "pop". The "pop" wasn't very loud but it was very noticeable.

My question is, was the sub bottoming, or was it port noise or amp clipping that I heard? Also, should I be concerned about this? The sub doesn't seem to be damaged and there is no way that I would ever need to drive the sub that hard again.

Well what did the pop sound like? a loud clanking sound would be the driver bottoming out (the voicecoil slamming into the magnet, which is a really bad thing). If it sounds like a farting/fluttering pop, then you've exceeded the limits of the driver and are experiencing distortion. If you've got a pop that's fluttering/farting, then it's prob your amp clipping. Port noise sounds like wind. Sometimes it can portray itself like a whistle, other times it will sound similar to when your windows are just partially opened in your car.

I might just have to record each of these sounds because once you hear each kind of distortion and know which is which, then you'll forever be able to tell what's happening. If you live anywhere near Chicago, I'd be willing to demonstrate each distortion as I find it to be fun (unless something breaks...cuz then it's a ton of fun) 2.gif

----------------

On 5/28/2004 11:55:35 AM DrWho wrote:

I'd be willing to demonstrate each distortion as I find it to be fun (unless something breaks...cuz then it's a ton of fun)
2.gif

----------------

umm if you have the money to break em why not?

----------------

On 5/27/2004 3:25:33 PM Drew in the desert wrote:

It started getting extremely lound and shaking the hell out of my house, and then I heard a quick "pop". The "pop" wasn't very loud but it was very noticeable. ... My question is, was the sub bottoming, or was it port noise or amp clipping that I heard?

----------------

What you heard was the voice coil of the driver hitting the backing plate... or in other words, your SUB BOTTOMED OUT. I have no doubt about it.

Like mentioned, port noise is basically the sound of wind turbulence... while clipping sounds like distortion (music notes breaking up... and become unclear and undefined). There is an ABX web site which lets you listen to different types of distortion at different levels. In any case, neither of these sounds anything like a popping sound.

Later...

Rob

PS: I have heard/experienced all three.

----------------

Well what did the pop sound like? a loud clanking sound would be the driver bottoming out (the voicecoil slamming into the magnet, which is a really bad thing). If it sounds like a farting/fluttering pop, then you've exceeded the limits of the driver and are experiencing distortion. If you've got a pop that's fluttering/farting, then it's prob your amp clipping. Port noise sounds like wind. Sometimes it can portray itself like a whistle, other times it will sound similar to when your windows are just partially opened in your car.

I might just have to record each of these sounds because once you hear each kind of distortion and know which is which, then you'll forever be able to tell what's happening. If you live anywhere near Chicago, I'd be willing to demonstrate each distortion as I find it to be fun (unless something breaks...cuz then it's a ton of fun)
2.gif

----------------

Now that you mention it, the sound was similar to a "fluttering pop", it was short and quick and not very lound. So, you think this might just be either distortion or clipping? Is there any way to check for damage? It still sounds fine. Should I be concerned that this happened?

----------------

Now that you mention it, the sound was similar to a "fluttering pop", it was short and quick and not very lound.

----------------

The fluttering was port noise... its just natural that it happens as you approach the sub's max. The POPING part was the sub bottoming out.

----------------

So, you think this might just be either distortion or clipping?

----------------

no

----------------

Is there any way to check for damage? It still sounds fine. Should I be concerned that this happened?

----------------

Don't worry, the sub isn't damaged... you'd hear the resulting damage if there was some. I just wouldn't make a habit of bottoming out the driver though... 2.gif

Rob

----------------

On 5/28/2004 2:26:17 PM Jay481985 wrote:

----------------

I'd be willing to demonstrate each distortion as I find it to be fun (unless something breaks...cuz then it's a ton of fun)
2.gif

----------------

umm if you have the money to break em why not?

----------------

Well I actually don't have any money at all, let alone the money to break good subs...However, I have plenty of small 6 inch "woofers" as well as 3W amps that demonstrate these things very well (aka, computer speakers) 2.gif

I too have heard all 3 forms of distortions and I'd have to agree with formica...nothing to worry about at all. Btw, do you have a link to that ABX website handy? If it's not handy, then I can do my own homework and find it myself.

----------------

Well I actually don't have any money at all, let alone the money to break good subs...However, I have plenty of small 6 inch "woofers" as well as 3W amps that demonstrate these things very well (aka, computer speakers) 2.gif

I too have heard all 3 forms of distortions and I'd have to agree with formica...nothing to worry about at all. Btw, do you have a link to that ABX website handy? If it's not handy, then I can do my own homework and find it myself.

----------------

That better not be a blose 6 inch woofer 6.gif

Pretty interesting test...however, not one I would run on my system. I have the same SVS sub and recently blew the driver while watching "Whale Rider". Since it was still under warranty, SVS replaced the driver and they were exceptional at tech and customer support.

In my case, the sound was a very noticeable "pop" that seemed of a frequency that shouldn't come from a sub. It worked fine for a few more times, and one day, it just started buzzing and carrying on. After some troubleshooting with tech support, we decided the driver was fried.

I hope that is not your problem.

Rudy, where do you have your sub set at for a volume? I keep mine at just under the 12:00 position. I couldn't imagine blowing the driver under normal listening conditions.

Yeah, I hope my driver's not blown, but its good to hear that SVS was able to replace it for you. I've only had mine now for about a month.

Drew:

My SVS volume is set at about the 12:30 position and pre/pro setting is about -5 for the sub. When it happened, the volume was at normal listening levels. I really don't know why the driver was damaged, I just know it happened during that movie when the whale slams its tail on the ocean floor. All I heard was a loud sound that was obviously not a low frequency. I initially thought something happened to one of my front speaker mid ranges, but after further investigation it turned out to be the sub.

I have never turned up my system very loud. With Belles and a La Scala in a relatively small room, 80 dB's is more than enough.

----------------

On 5/29/2004 1:34:51 PM DrWho wrote:

Btw, do you have a link to that ABX website handy? If it's not handy, then I can do my own homework and find it myself.

----------------

I don't have it handy... I would have to find it again. I do have the link for the main www.pcabx.com page and their training http://www.pcabx.com/training/index.htm (also check out their links).

But this is not the page i had in mind...

Rob