Replacement grille cloth

Colin

I dont think Klipsch has a parts/price list online anymore, do they?

I might eventually want to make a new, larger top for my Altec 511B and Beyma tweeters, when I get them hooked up. In order for the new top to match my current cloth on the Khorns, I need more of the same black cloth.

How much is black replacement grill cloth for classic Klipsch corner Khorns?

Is it cheaper to use another brand and simply recover the entire Khorn?

3.gif

Colin,

I just bought 4 yds of the exact replacement black grill cloth from Wendell Fabrics based on a part number that was provided me by Klipsch's former supplier. (I posted the part number in a previous post) I asked for a sample first since the stuff shown of their website was more of a woven nylon and did not look the same as the original. I wanted exact! Not close!

I only need to re-grill my two '62 Cornwalls and I am sure I will have at least 2 yds left over. I think it cost me like $95 total for the grill cloth and shipping, I can sell it to you for exactly what it cost me.

To my knowledge Klipsch does not offer it for sale anymore, hence everyone going elsewhere for it. It was only like $17 a sq yard plus shipping how much cheaper do you want than that? I think the piece I got is 72" X 72" or 4 sq yards total of which I just need 2 sq yds.

Do a search for the thread on the replacement grill cloth that Jorjen started. There is plenty of info there.

Hi Colin, just going through the same thing as you are. I first called Klipsch's 800 number. Was told no way Jose. They do not have any heritage cloth for any price. Strange I thought because I purchased 2 yards about 2 years ago, for like $20/yd. Then I called last year and the price had exploded to about $60/yd, so I tried the Wendall fabrics road. I'm not as wise as others here, I bought it sight unseen.....it was black but that's where the similarities ended. Like was made out of plastic string. The stuff unraveled just during the unrolling. I'm stuck with crap. Fast forward back to Monday of this week. Based upon the testimonials from others on this BB, I ordered 4 yards of the latest black cloth rumored to be the exact match. Awaiting shipment, but it sounds to me like it's the right stuff.

I'll let you know if it is not right, but I am very hopeful that it is correct......Wendell Fabs # DA-3555-21 is what I ordered.

Why would you need to 'raise the roof' on your top Khorn section to accomodate the 511b's? Mine are nestled comfortably within, just had to fabricate a different grille cloth frame to accomodate the wide mouth of the 511b, essentially so that everywhere you see grille cloth it is open rather than the small rectangle hole for the Klipsch straight horn, and the even smaller hole for the little K77/EV-T35. I mounted my tweeter - a University 4401 - within the mouth of the 511b.

Colin,

Edwardre is correct. Unless you are going to mount the Beyma centered on top of the 511B, there's no need to change the classic proportions of the Klipschorn.

Just route out two grooves for the top and bottom flange of the 511B to nestle into.

Lee

Just received yesterday my 4 yards of Wendell Fabrics DA-3555-21. As far as I'm concerned, it is an exact match of the original heritage black grille cloth. I suppose you might be able to identify slight differences if you start to count individual threads as I started to do, but suffice to say that from a distance of say....6 inches or farther, you will not be able to visualize any difference at all. The color of the 'black' was the exact same color of black as my existing grille cloth, so there is no need to worry that one black is slightly 'grayer' or 'browner' than you existing heritage black cloth. I am very very picky when it comes to matching.

Shipping from Wendell was pleasantly timely. I ordered on 6/4 (Friday) and received on 6/8 (Tues). Price was very reasonable, $16/yd and the 'yards' are 6 feet wide. The only complaint would be that the shipping seemed to be pricey.....like about $30 plus they stabbed me $10 for 'handling'. The total price for 4 yards ended up being $103 and some change, but clearly I have enough now to last me forever!!