denon 5803 as pre/pro...

Sanman023

You would gain some power and a few extra features but to me it would not be $2000 worth. For that money I would buy a A/V Preamp and use the amps in the Denon 3803 until you could purchase a 5 or 7 channel amplifiers or a trio of two channel ones.

i have a friend thatll take the 3803 off my hands for $600 so this upgrade will cost me $1400...note that this is not the upgraded 5803A...just the regular ole 5803.....i will be using the same separate amplifiers and the 5803 is just the pre pro....i need 5803 owners to tell me if this is worth the extra $$$...thanks..

The answer depends on whether you would actually use the added features and connectivity of the 5803. For example, the 5803 offers the ability to switch back and forth on the surround speakers from di-poles to mono-poles for movies and music respectively.

Personally, I believe the price is too high for such a dated design. It lacks generic i.link, acoustic room correction, DPL-IIx; a lot of these features will probably be on Denon's replacement later this year.

Bill

For that same $1400 you could get a B&K Ref 50, a NAD T163, an Outlaw 950 and a number of other A/V preamplifiers that have all the latest features and options and don't have all the amplifiers and associated circuitry in them. I used my Denon AVR-4800 for quite awhile as a pre/pro but having a dedicated pre/pro is certainly the way to go, big jump in quality.