Looking for your thoughts........

chops

That's a very famous picture here. Jim posts it every chance he gets. Tells everyone he's the good looking one in the middle and the guy on the left is a real jack-***.11.gif2.gif9.gif

Actually, Jim has always spoken very highly of both his brothers, not to mention mother and father. Could you let him live just a little longer?

----------------

On 6/4/2004 11:19:50 PM garymd wrote:

That's a very famous picture here. Jim posts it every chance he gets. Tells everyone he's the good looking one in the middle and the guy on the left is a real jack-***.
11.gif2.gif9.gif

Actually, Jim has always spoken very highly of both his brothers, not to mention mother and father. Could you let him live just a little longer?

----------------

Nah, I don't feel like making OR cleaning up any messes right now, so I guess I'll let him be for a little while longer. 9.gif

Cerwin-Vega! I've always loved their logo. How many companies use an exclamation point in their name? They were the heart of my very first "real" stereo system. I bought a pair of their top-of-line model at the time. It's been almost 20 years ago, and I still have them. I just can't get rid of them. I once put them up for sale, but fortunately that never happened. No, they don't sound as good as Klipschorns -- but gosh darn it, they still sound pretty darn good. The particular models I own are actually 1 dB more efficient than the Khorns. They made the exact same speaker I own in a Pro version -- mine just come in a residential cabinet (i.e., no handles and not covered in carpet). I must say that they are GREAT for Rock-n-Roll, definitely some of the best Rock speakers ever made. However, if you are looking for Jazz or Classical speakers, there are probably better options out there. Although jazz still can sound pretty good on my speakers. I don't think I ever played much classical on them. I am going to try to keep them for as long as I can. I've decided I don't want to give them up. In fact, if I do have to give them up, I will probably give them away to a relative before I sell them. They are worth more to me than what I could probably get for them on the used market.

Back when I was in college, the dorms I lived in had what they called "Loud Hours." Every Friday and Saturday from 5:00 to 7:00 you could be as loud as you wanted, play your music as loud as you wanted without any restrictions or repercussions whatsoever. My cousin had a pair of CV's that were probably similar to the very ones in this auction (of course they dominated his dorm room). He ran them with a 70 wpc receiver. We would crank them up so loud that you couldn't be in the dormroom with them playing, but they filled the concourse with music. The first time we did this other students walking back from the cafeteria literally were suprised there wasn't a live band playing. We would take a cup of water and place it on the floor several rooms away and you could see the ripples in the water from the music -- kinda like that scene in Jurrassic Park. This became a ritual on every Friday and Saturday and the speakers became legendary with the other students as many would make song requests. The following semester, the Loud Hours rules were modified to include the words "within reason." This change was made all because of those two Cerwin-Vegas!

Hey, Chops:

I was surprised to see this, because Cerwin Vegas were the exact speaker I got when we decided the Heresy from Klipsch was just too expensive. This was in the mid-80s. After looking and listening all over the place for something that might approximate the clarity and presence of the Klipsch speakers we heard, Cerwin Vegas were what we chose.

My opinion is that they are really quite good, and have high sensitivity. Transient response seems to be brought out well by more efficient speakers, and the Cerwin Vegas have that characteristic. We used the CVs for about 10 years, after which time I started building my own cabinets and crossovers. I gave the Cerwin Vegas to one of my wife's friends, and she liked them very much -- for all kinds of music, not just rock. Cerwin Vega does make sound equipment for large arenas, but so does Klipsch. As a matter of fact, when I was contemplating a new pair of La Scalas several years ago, the salesman asked me why I wanted a speaker that was mainly used as part of a public address system in large arenas! He said they sounded harsh, but might be good for listening to rock and heavy metal. My feeling is that the Heritage line is great for virtually any type of music. IMO, Cerwin Vegas are too.

Erik

I agree with what has been said about CV's. When I first started

building my home theater I bought a pair of the 315-E's I think. They had a 15 woofer, 6" mid and a tweeter. The sensitivity

was rated about 102db. I used them for my rear speakers while and I waited to find a pair of LaScalas for sale in my area.

I also bought a pair of DCM speakers to use as my front effect speakers, again while waiting to find more LaScalas. They were the DCM KX-10 series 2. 10" woofer, 6" mid, and a horn type tweeter. Rated at 96 or 98db.

After buying more LaScalas I set up the CV-315's, DCM-KX10's, Klipsch KG-5.5's and a few other speakers in the middle of the room to A/B them. The CV 315's were all bass and lacked the clarity of the other two brands. They seemed like they didn't have any highs. The Klipsch KG 5.5 were nicer sounding then the CV, but was blown away by the DCM. The DCM KX-10 surprised us all. Everyone expected this speaker to perform the worst. It was also more efficient then the other two and sounded more like the LaScala then they did.

My mother and father were at the house one day and I set up the same speakers again for them to listen to. I wanted my mother to take home the pair that see liked the best. See too picked the DCM's, but my father would't let her take them because he didn't want no black speaker in his house. I originally bought the KG5.5's for my mother, but they were also black. SO, I sold the CV's and gave the KG5.5's to my older son who was heading off to college and the DCM's to my younger son for his bedroom.

Since then I bought my younger son another pair of DCM KX10's and a pair of the KX12's for his room. You guys know how I'm a stickler for matching all the speakers in a home theater system. He uses a pair of the 10's for the rears, the other pair of 10's for the center channels, and the 12's for his mains. I forgot what DCM subwoofer he is using.

About two months ago I bought another pair of DCM KX12's for my mother. This time I went to their house while they were away and put them in. I threw out the speakers that they had. My father has gotten over his black thing and actually enjoys listening to music louder now that it is cleaner sounding.

This was a long story, but anyone looking for a cheap but good sounding speaker should search ebay for the DCM KX12 series two speakers. Don't buy the KX12's, buy the KX12 series two's. The series two's have a better tweeter. They sold for about $500.00 a pair new and for about $150.00 a pair on ebay. I decided to buy myself another pair to replace the ones that I have in my back yard. So watch out, you may be bidding againts me. This has to be the best sleeper in the speaker market.