How much of a differance...

Tulon

I'm in the market for a suround setup and am on a relatively low budget. Anyway, since i havent heard the quintets I was wandering if anyone could tell me how much better they sound than the Promedias (any version). Do you notice much of a differance? a $500 differance? ( quintets+amp+reciever or promedia 5.1+reciever) Any help/ suggestions would be appreciated

------------------

Ever since owning Klipsch speakers (promedias) I shudder at lesser sound-producing devices

I am not sure these are comparible products. The promedias are aimed at computers, are all powered, and do not include a centre channel.

The quintets, on the other hand, are a set of speakers for a surround sound system and include a centre channel. They are not powered speakers.

I bought a set of quintets about 3 years ago (with a KSW 10 sub) and enjoyed the result although my room is rather too large for them to have worked properly.

I have not heard the promedias for a long time and then only once. They were certainly impressive for a computer sound system but were more aimed at computer game effects than music reproduction.

true, they are aimed towards differant markets and are definnetly differant (i knew that already) So, I'll refraise the question, "Why do the quintets cost $500 more than the promedias (5.1s) when the promedias have a built in amp and seem very similar in capabilities?" Also, I am taking into consideration that it would be annoying to buy new cables, adapters etc. and find a non-amplifieng reciever that meets my wants and budget if I were to get the promedias.

Note: I am interested in getting the Pro 5.1s, I only said "any version" because I am assuming that they are very close in sound quality

------------------

Ever since owning Klipsch speakers (promedias) I shudder at lesser sound-producing devices

The difference is the Promedias and Quintets are not similar in performance. From comments BobG has made, I infer the Quintets are capable of going louder and are suitable for the distances found in small rooms. The Promedias are intended for close listening and aparently cannot get as loud as the Quintets, or handle as much power.

John

This message has been edited by John Albright on 07-15-2001 at 12:36 PM