Need your help --> HSU STF-2 vs Earthquake Supernova MK-IV 10"

DaveM

Hey guys.

Well now that I have the Reciever and speakers and the TV all set which of these two subs would you recommend. I would love to send about 600 shipped or so on a SVS but I just can't afford that really. I'm looking between the HSU STF-2 and the Supernova MK-IV 10".

Both look like good subs and both I can get for under 400 dollars *shipping and all*. So these really caught my eyes.

Unless maybe somebody can find me something just a tad more thats mucho better or extends lower for a few more bucks I'll take some advice :).

Love to hear from you too Ears. Yes finally I have no more peesea speakers.

http://www.hsustore.com/stf2.html <--- HSU STF-2 sub link with specs

http://www.earthquakesound.com/supernova10.htm <-- Supernova MK-IV 10" link and specs *msrp is retarded, they are really 499.99 or so msrp*

Outta these two what do you think would give me better sound *tighter* and lower end extension.

Also my setup follows below

Toshiba 53H71 HDTV

Yamaha 5660 Reciever 100x6 channels

Klipsch SF-2 Mains

Klipsch SC-1 Center

Klipsch SS-1 Surrounds

All wired with monster cable 16 guage

Xbox with progressive scan hooked up with component

Thanks *sorry for long message guys :)*

DaveM

Well, I'll take my best shoot at this one. Earthquake is kinda like sunfire, they have alot of low end but not alot of upper bass. Considering this is a 10, it may make a difference. Considering HSU is online only(I think), you may get a better bang for the buck. I have never heard any of these, but at least I took a crack at it. I have read from a reliable sourse that the 12 and 15 Earthquakes are like big Subfire subs. And I have heard good bang for the buck for HSU's lower lines from many people. I hope this helps.

CD

A response, yay :)

Well see thats the thing they both sound really good. Do you have any suggestions for a differnt brand and certain model that performs nicely at a good price point (500 or less?).

Thanks,

DaveM

ALSO: Do you think the 10inch of the earthquake would have plenty of lower bass, if you look on the site it looks like the chart shows 17-18hz @ 95-96dB. Whats the range on the sunfires usually, I don't care for upper bass as much , I just want to feel it more, i don't need 80-90hz bass power.

Unfortunately I can't really comment about either of those models, as I have never heard them.... but have you had a look at fabulousfrankie's chart of the Tom Nousaine subwoofer tests? You may also pickup a used SVS PCi sub for a little less...

BTW 17-18Hz requires a sub to move a lot of air.. and is inaudible if there are no harmonics. Given the budget, I'd concentrate on a sub that performs well between 25-80Hz... and you'll be surprised what a difference it'll make.

Good luck...

Rob

----------------

On 6/11/2004 9:36:49 AM DaveM wrote:

where could I locate a use SVS PCi sub
:D

also the chart on the earthquake sub says 110dB @ 20hz. I'm guessing thats not to bad
:)

----------------

Yes 110db at 20Hz is very impressive IF it was in Tom N's 7500ft3 room... at the listener's position and C weighed like his other tests. Bass frequencies are highly room dependent and therefore numbers measured in different rooms by different people are not comparable.

For the SVS, you could try the Home Theater Forum Hardware page and on here... they turn up especially when a newer model is released.

Later...

Rob