Maple Ultra setup qustion *i'm an idiot*

I just bought a mapltree ultra 4a preamp from Craig. On the unit it has two things in the middle that aren't tubes. If i was at home i would give a better description.

you can see them in this picture: http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/ultra4.htm

they each have a wire coming off the back of them that is connected to some sort of connector. It reminds me of how an fm antenna in your car looks like. What is this and what do I do with it!! LOL thanks guys as always =)

-Justin

The wire is something I did as a tweak the two tubes your speaking of are 6SC7 metal envelop for a phono stage. I added the wires as a absolute ground to limit any noise pickup in my shop which is very electrically noisy you plug them into the phono ground or just snip them off. Its really not a issue either way. I didn't recieve your message till after 11 last night and didn't know if it was to late to call you. That preamp has many little tweaks like this that are not in the manual or on the schematic.

Craig

Sounds good, I just didn't want to fry anything! I also noticed that when I move the preamp around I can hear something inside moving around. Is it just a loose wire, or is it something I should check out. Everything came in perfect, thanks for everything! Also do you have anything you've put together, like a walk through to bias the tubes on my dynaco poweramp? Do I ever need to check the tubes on the preamp?

-Justin

You should check the preamp tubes every hour on the hour for the first 10000 hours, or you could just leave them for the 5000 to 10000 hours that they should last. They last a long, long time. Craig's tubes are less than a year old, so they will be in very good shape.

You will like the preamp, it works well and produces a nice sound. The other good thing is that Craig has burned in those Auricaps (they take 225-250 hours to burn in on the Mapletree). It is worth the wait.

Good luck.

Don