A beginner's tube amp

You might try antique sound lab av8s monoblocks (8 watts per channel), you will need two.

You see them on ebay fairly regular. They are discontinued model. They were essentially a loss-leader for the company. They are self-biasing, so you don't have to adjust them. They sound nice and were $119.00 each.

I use a pair in my office and they sound very nice.

They are an inexpensive way to get into tubes.

- Lee

How about a Jolida 102. EL84 tubes. Cheap to run. Could you get a used one in the States for $300? Also backed by U.S. assembly therefore easy to fix if something goes wrong. An early Antique Sound Labs integrated would be a good bet as well.

----------------

On 6/15/2004 4:30:23 PM lshannon wrote:

You might try antique sound lab av8s monoblocks (8 watts per channel), you will need two.

You see them on ebay fairly regular. They are discontinued model. They were essentially a loss-leader for the company. They are self-biasing, so you don't have to adjust them. They sound nice and were $119.00 each.

- Lee

----------------

I'm looking on ebay and I noticed that someone has a pair of ASL av-20's up on the auction block for $250... Those are kinda tempting and the price seems about right. Any opinions on those?

----------------

On 6/15/2004 10:15:34 PM 3dzapper wrote:

Too bad this ASL1003DT is just out of your range. Several forum members have these and like the sound:

asl1003q.jpg

Rick

----------------

Now that is a beautiful looking amp... I'm going to attempt to get that price down a bit. If I can get him down to $400, I may be able to swing that thing.

----------------

On 6/16/2004 12:55:55 AM Professor.Ham.Slap wrote:

----------------

On 6/15/2004 4:30:23 PM lshannon wrote:

- Lee

----------------

I'm looking on ebay and I noticed that someone has a pair of
up on the auction block for $250... Those are kinda tempting and the price seems about right. Any opinions on those?

----------------

Do you have a preamp already?

----------------

On 6/16/2004 12:57:30 AM T_Shomaker wrote:

Do you have a preamp already?

----------------

Not a tube preamp, no. I have a (and I know I'm going to get the hell pummeled outta me for this) Pioneer VXD-811s or a Carver AVR-100 that I would use to handle that duty until I could afford a tube preamp to complete the system.

I don't really plan on using the tubes for HT, just for listening to the two channel sources. For HT, I'd probably switch it back over to the SS amp.