Legends Meet SVS Ultra...

HornEd

did seb get a NEW SUB? if so, please fill me in seb. missed that 1. cwm35.gif

bring on video-on-demand w/ dts! then no more blockbuster! cwm20.gif

doing the 4 mi. trip tonite to use my 2-for-1 coupon. no wait, it's only good mon-thu. arrrrrrghhhh.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

no i didn't get a new sub...

still truthful to my PW-2200...

the next thing i will be changing in my ht will be the SPEAKERS! I have some Sony's that I'd really love to replace by some Heritage speakers... or some recent Klipsch at cost from the place where i work.

if I wait some more, I think people will start a humanitarian mission and organize a fund to help me get out of that muddy Sony sound...

cwm2.gif

Sorry I've been so far away, the increased demand of the standard SVs(Cs and Pc)that seems to have come along with a couple positive reviews(Nousaine and Kotches)...along with the CS_U introduction has left me a bit busy.

As usual...*HornEd* is amazingly insightful. We've exchanged a few emails...and I think he's gotten a good "feel" for the type of attitude we have at SVS.

I'd like to publically thank him for having the faith to purchase a product sound-unheard...and to take so much time offering his opinions of it on a forum.

>>>>>SVS seems to be in that twilight zone that occurs when well intended, knowledgeable folks get together to build a new company, get enough "real world" manufacturing experience to realize they don't have the financial clout (it takes $millions) to have everything built exactly to their specifications... and are willing to put in nearly all their waking hours into hand building their product.<<<<<

That's probably the most astute description of SVS I've ever seen...well done!

Just as an example of the *clout* he's referring too.

I came up with a custom port design that I wanted to have molded out of plastic...

...you better bring 30k with you...for anyone to even TALK to you seriously about having a mold like we needed made. Then figure 2-3x that for a *start up production* run...ouch.

>>>It is an ideal time for a collector-type, like yours truly, to take a chance and buy a better quality sample of their work... much as I did with my first set of K-Horns that probably had PWK's finger prints somewhere on them.<<<

That's likely! One of the things Ron and I always talked about was the start Klipsch had..."in a shed so small...one employee had to walk out for the other employee to turn around"

>>> I will probably buy one of their early "SS" hand-builts for the same reason... plus they promise to have a few more touches of "wretched excess" that gives us collector-types "gush" points.<<<

I'm still in the final *squeeze another fraction of a dB out of it* stages on the SS design. I'm not really sure how far we're going to be able to push the envelope again...but it will extend lower and play at least as loud/clean as the CS_U does.And the looks will be something I don't think anyone has ever seen in a cylindrical enclosure...Ron's really coming up with some amazing stuff.

>>>I believe the Twin CS-Ultra fired by the S-1000 represents more blood, sweat and tears than most speaker sagas... and is truly a cut above their other products in build quality and innovation.<<<

HornEd, if we could ever sit down at a *pub* and talk for a few hours...the stories I could tell you about the design process on the CS_U...

We we're literally breaking enclosures apart with the peak internal back-pressures. We've gone from a standard *sonotube* type cylinder to a CUSTOM BUILT cylinder...50% thicker,and using a denser wall material. Black laminated the entire length!

everyone watch production costs instantly shoot upwards!

the standard MDF endcaps?

in pieces...and that was 1" thick!

So along with the custom molded cylindrical enclosures...we went to the strongest material that would work in our application. 1.5" thick...birch plywood! Yes, 1.5" thick endcaps! Black laminated of course.

Going from the first version I built(which would have kicked the crap out of most subwoofers regardless)...to the FINAL design...there was about 20 "beta versions" built,rebuilt, and rebuilt again. With each variation being tested for hours.

The final version ended up being over 100% more powerful--->6dB...then the first version..and I also managed to extend and flatten it's operating bandwidth simultaneously.

I'm very proud of the CS_U response curves taken at a 2meter distance...outside...about 70 feet from the nearest reflective boundary. While most companies cough up a 90dB response curve(or they might show you a COMPUTER SIMULATED curve---bs!)...I ran a single CS_U up to 110dBs. Remember, that's 110dBs...2 meter groundplane(which equals 1 meter freeair or anechoic).

Then we posted all the data for the world to see on the website...warts and all(you CAN see the ports beginning to compress on the 110dB trace!) I continued upwards btw. It stayed *pretty* until about 112-113dB. 115dB showed obvious non-linear aspects. And once I went past 115...we pretty much killed itSmile.gif

So,in context...a package like HornEd got would be capable of linear 116dB sweeps freeair/anechoic. In a typical listening room...say 2000-2500 cu-ft. This should be good for 122-125dB linear sweep capability.

Overkill you say?

Hardly!

With all speakers set to SMALL, the MINIMUM Dolby requirement for *reference* level bass is 121dB at all the key listening positions!

No one else wants to discuss this very much thoughSmile.gif

>>>Cylindrical subwoofers are inherently efficient as sound producers... but, as I understand, more difficult to create on an automated high speed production line. Of course, building a production line featuring horn loaded speakers at a price point that captures the buying public's fancy is no mean feat either!

While I would like to have my OPINION be an honest one based on longstanding work-related habits, I also think that making it into my retirement years gives me license for a little "bias" & "gush" time with products that have found their way deep into my heart... until last week, Classic Klipsch horn loaded products were about all that found their way into the speaker category. They did it with consistently clean, honest and powerful performances. At first blush, the thought, materials and performance of the CS-Ultra fits in that category... and I honestly did not expect to find it to be that good. Maybe I got the "Wednesday" build using the Detroit parlance. Whatever I got, it's a keeper in its own right... and even more so the way it makes my Klipsch collection even more ear-worthy!<<<

To be Honest HornEd, I'm not even sure what seriel #'s you got?(at the bottom of the baseplate). The CS_U's go through a very demanding "QC" process. We sweep each unit in various stages of completion. When it's ready to be boxed...it's not uncommon for us to be running 120dB+(measured at 1 meter)sweeps through the unit...just to be SURESmile.gif

The CS_U is a very special subwoofer, it's something I'm quite proud to be associated with.

TV

Although I have long been a fan of separates... on my current HT I have compromised on the side of convenience and used a receiver. Using the Samson to fire a pair of passive Ultras is a move back into a separates mentality... and that comes after trying over a dozen subwoofers with built-in amps that just didn't quite measure up to the Klipsch standards of the rest of my speakers.

Thanks, TV, for stepping in and filling in some technical details that helped me realize why the Ultras have left me with scrambled prose under my avatar. The Dolby reference for SMALL setting really struck home as far as understanding why other subs have not made my "ear/feel" grade. I also appreciate having my suppositions about where SVS was in its corporate growth substantiated. I trust that someday we can both find the *pub* time to do justice to your saga. And, thanks for the boquets thrown my way, TV, but let's put the credit where it really belongs. You and Ron are the gardeners that have to wade through the start-up fertilization process... I just enjoy the opportunity to take the time to "hear" your new, acousticly thornless, roses.

I certainly have been amazed at how many encouraging side messages (much appreciated pm's, emails, etc.) I have received about my Ultra posts and the reluctance I have to talk about your "jewels" in a Klipsch "setting." The consensus is that I should keep on shooting from the heart and, thereby, add my 2¢ to help spur the Klipsch engineers to new and greater heights in their next round of subwoofers.

HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-23-2001 at 01:45 AM

Ed, I'm glad to hear they sound that great EVEN before you have had a chance to play with the EQ. Will be waiting for the time in the future when you have the EQ tuned in to hear your evaluation and opinion of that piece of equipment. I've been considering it, but wonder if I have the patience or probably more likely the know how, to properly set it up without causing more problems than good. Smile.gif

As you, I still enjoy the sound of the SVS each time I hear them. It is impressive to hear what was there all along, but was never being realized, because of lesser subs before. I am a great salesman every time someone stops by to hear my setup. I also know Klipsch is promising great things in their new line of subs and I am waiting for the first posts from all who try them.

------------------

Mains: RF-3s

Center: RC-3

Rears: RS-3s

Sub: Dual SVS 20-39cs

Receiver: Onkyo 696

DVD: Toshiba 6200

TV: Mits Diamond WS65907

Well, the deed is done, after some heavy furniture rearranging, the Twin Ultas are holding forth in the same corner of my audio mini-world and bursting forth as never before... in fact I had to turn the Samson power amp down a notch or two.

While I liked the "sound curtain" effect of a KLF 10 front effects, SVS Ultra Sub, KLF 30 Main, KLF 30 Center, KLF 30 Main, SVS Ultra Sub, KLF 10 front effects... having the Ultras make nice in their own rear corner... and suddenly, an "Aurora Borealis" of low note ecstacy cascades into that great void between my ears.

The doc told me to grab some Audio R & R and he would carve on me next week... so, if you will excuse me, it's time to relax and enjoy! cwm4.gif HornEd

Ed, what about that ale? Tipsy.gif

How do those Ultras sound on 2 channel source music all the way up to 90hz, like an ac/dc cd? Biggrin.gif

do they equal or better that klf-30 kick drum slam from 60-90hz in that tightness, pitch definition?

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z1 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

Sorry to weave you into the sadness of tears falling in my ale... but ole HornEd is skewered on the horns of a dilemma. My HT is upstairs and my music/computer room is downstairs and... cwm2.gif I only have ONE pair of Ultras... and carrying them up and downstairs for my ear's pleasure is more physical conditioning than I care to enjoy these days!

I am afraid TV's brainchild has raised the bar to a level that has created over a dozen surplus subwoofers in this house. I guess for the sake of my high regard for kick-drums and KLF 30's, I should feel remorse for setting these puppies to small... but by my ears and by those who know my system before and after... these Ultras don't miss a beat... they make more of it!

Also, the transition between SVS and Klipsch on the KLF 30's or the Cornwalls is so smooth that it is just too much work to try to find where one leaves off and the other picks up... or anything in between.

So I guess the bottom line is... CAUTION: SVS Ultras may not only be habit forming when applied to music and/or home theater systems... but will also make you realize that empty feeling where the rest of the bass should be the next time you visit your neighborhood high-end audio store... because they don't sell them there. But, if they did, Boa, I am convinced that we both would have had some long ago.

I may split my Ultras and put one tube with each system for the time being... while I wait for the SVS SS to become available.

I was reading about a Monarch amp in the wee hours... It turns out they are located just a couple of miles from where I live... and, like SVS, they put a priority on building in more audiophile quality for less money. In one of the Monarch reviews there was a comment about Monarch driving a speaker so that it was singing the tune rather than blasting it. And that phrase struck me... because the Ultras... sing for music and blast for HT... and spoil you rotten for just about any other bass for a home-sized installation.

Who knows, the Klipsch Sound has a reputation of not being for everyone... especially among audiophiles... and maybe that will be the lot of SVS. So far, I haven't found any dissenters... and mom's still grinning from ear-to-ear. Opps, she just called for a matinee performance. Time to kick back and enjoy! cwm38.gifcwm32.gif HornEd & HisMom

ed, glad to hear that. waiting on my velo hgs-18 to get back again after the dealer techie released it to me w/ an apparent sqeaky rattle from the driver on the low stuff, especially pink noise to sub test.

this guy doesn't seem to do any testing before releasing to customer. he will this time though w/ me there Smile.gif

consequently, i still haven't gotten the chance to listen experiment w/ it, the new klf 30 & marantz sr8000 Frown.gif

convinced at this point that for me the small setting is best for at least 2 channel sources w/ the sub out hook-up AND a sub capable of handling it all.

hope the hgs-18 is up to the task like your ultras.

my guess is it will be Tipsy.gif