Harshness and OK Bass on RB-5

sirelio

A few friends and I went to the local hi-end audio store and tried out some RB-5s. We tested classical and rock, and some other stuff. When we played some of the classical the sound was a little harsh when we turned it up really loud. Also, we used a stereofile test cd, and the bass stated to drop off around 60 Hz. Do these disappear after the speakers are 'broken in,' or are they typical?

The RB-5 were at our local DC metro area audio store (Soundworks) where the salesmen seemed to be Martin Logan people and not Klipsch forum. We asked to audition the SB-3 and RB-5. They had the RB-5 but said we would have to buy the SB-3 at $450 in order to listen. The RB-5s were biwired to a NAD 514 CD player and NAD C740 stereo receiver, neither of which seemed to be very high-end (or warm-sounding either). We tested it with rock music (Nine Days), a classical symphony piece, and various assorted MP3s. The speakers had great impact, and an 'exciting' sound. Bass seemed reasonably tight though without any deep 'oomph'. When we tried the Stereophile warble test tones the speakers seemed to have obvious dropoff starting at 80-100Hz. Also, at high volumes the loud segments of the orchestra, especially very high-pitch instruments had a bit of harsh, earsplitting tone. This problem disappeared when the speakers were not pointed directly at you. Though this is a minor nitpick, voices didn't seem to be entirely crystal clear and smooth as I expected. What I am wondering is if these small 'problems' were not caused by defects in the speakers, but in the fact that they had not really 'broken in' and that the problems would disappear over time if I actually purchased them.

What this?? buy a speaker to be able listen another pair????

That is so low, that salesman wouldn't see me a second time forever.

So did you actually buy the SB-3??

Are they so powerfull that they can force people to buy something first to audition something else ??

Is there no competition ... ?

Ok, back to those RB-5 's

The speakers need a little break in, butt try first a different setup like denon or onkyo. Specially for the amplifier. Also the placement of the speakers. The best is to setup the system at your location.

It all makes a difference.

------------------

-------------------------

Receiver: Onkyo 676

DVD: Pioneer DV-525

Screen: Thomson 46" RetroProjection

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RF-3's

Center: RC-3

Also, MP3's are the worst thing to use to audition speakers. They are harsh to begin with - the RB5's were probably reproducing what they were getting! I have the RB5's paired with a Denon 3801 - and the sound is pure audio bliss! Like was mentioned - placement is very important with these speakers. Every room will be different with respect to dips and bumps in the frequency response.

It amazes me how many dealers are partial to a brand of equipment - why even bother carrying the other gear if you steer people away from it?

------------------

Thanks,

Bryan

"... But Honey - I promise this is the last thing I will have to buy for the Home Theater"

Mistubishi 60" RPTV (VS60603)

Denon AVR 3801 RCVR

Denon DVM 1800 DVD

JVC 3600U SVHS VCR

RCA DirecTV

Klipsch RB5 - L&R

Klipsch RC3 - Center

Klipsch RCW3 - In-wall surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 - Sub

Monster Power Conditioner

Radio Shack Gold Series Interconnects

Radio Shack 12 AWG Mega Cable

I would try a different dealer/setup. I own vintage La Scalas driven by all tube amp and preamp but auditioned the RB-5's as a second system speaker for my weekend place. The store, Soundtrack in Denver, had an elaborate Klipsch room with all their Reference speakers switchable with a low noise board and driven by Krell electronics. Although Krell is sometimes thought to be strident and forward, I was very impressed with the sound of the RB-5's. I liked them better than even their floor standing Reference big brothers. They are not bass giants and need a good subwoofer to cover the lower octave. I have yet to act on a second system speaker purchase but the RB-5 would still have to be near the top of my list.

drobo

Although I love my mid 80s NAD receiver, the nock aginst NAD has always been a grainy sound in the upper midrange and high frequencies. Tat alone coupled with Mp-3s and small gaguue wire that the store was likely using to connect the outputs from the NAD to the RB-5s would likely account for any lack of sound quality you may have perceived. Usually NAD amps get great marks for bass reinforcement and mellowness, hence I suspect thin speaker wire.

Yes, boycott any dealership that makes you buy a speaker in order to listen to it (see the thread "HornEd see Red" elsewhere on this board).

drobo1,

WOW somone actually agrees with me there may be an advantage to the RB5 over the RF 3.

I paid more for my setup than RF3 s since I paid $ 160 for the Sanus Steel 24 inch stands and $ 30 for lead shot to fill them.

I am certain they hold to the floor and dampen vibration.

It is hard enough auditioning with CDs in an unfamiliar player let alone MP3 data. MP3 is incomplete data; not a good variable in a decision.

A. Flynn, I am with you 100%. Though the RB-5's don't make as much bass as RF-3's, they are incredibly dynamic and have great focus. One of my favorite Klispch products. They completely embarrass bookshelf speakers costing as much as $2000.

I agree - these RB5's are an incredible sounding set of speakers.

I have a brother-in-law who has some huge tower DCM speakers with a small horn tweeter, a 4" midrange and two 12" woofers. Of course his speakers kill mine in the bass category, but he commented the other day that his speakers don't sound as good in the midrange. I knew that all along! With an RSW sub, I think my set up would kill his in the bass category too!

Once these RSW subs come out, I think pairing the RB5's with one of them will just about be as accurate sounding as you can get for the price! That is if the RSW line lives up to the hype! cwm30.gif

------------------

Thanks,

Bryan

"... But Honey - I promise this is the last thing I will have to buy for the Home Theater"

Mistubishi 60" RPTV (VS60603)

Denon AVR 3801 RCVR

Denon DVM 1800 DVD

JVC 3600U SVHS VCR

RCA DirecTV

Klipsch RB5 - L&R

Klipsch RC3 - Center

Klipsch RCW3 - In-wall surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 - Sub

Monster Power Conditioner

Radio Shack Gold Series Interconnects

Radio Shack 12 AWG Mega Cable