Minimum Impedance RF7, RC7, RS7

RRRush

The Klipsch rating is 8 ohms nominal on all of the Rx-7 speakers.

Sound & Vision's May, 2002 issue reviewed the Reference 7 speakers. The RF-7s were rated at 6 ohms nominal with a dip to 2.8 ohms. The RC-7 was rated at 10 ohms nominal with the lowest impedance at 3.1 ohms. The RS-7 was rated at 6 ohm nomial impedance with the low poit at 3.6 ohms.

Impedance is similar to resistance, but it is in AC circuits instead of DC. The impedance of a speaker varies with frequency. For example, when the impedance drops with a change in frequency from 8 ohms to 4 ohms (half) the current required to drive the speaker doubles per Ohm's Law. Many amplifiers, especially receivers, cannot produce the needed current.

An amplifier that has low output impedance and that can "double down" with both 4 ohm and 2 ohm loads can produce flatter frequency response and better bass. More detail is also reproduced in the speaker output.

Bill

Dean,

I have kept that edition of Sound & Vision and copied the numbers correctly.

Home Theater's August 2002 review put the minimum impedance of the RF-7s at 3.53 ohms at 9.9 kHz and a phase angle of -68.48 degrees at 74 Hz. The RC-7 had a minimum impedance per HT Mag of 3.35 ohms at 176 Hz.

Those are the only reviews that I have kept for the RF-7s.

I keep drooling when I read the reviews of your crossovers. Too bad I blew my budget when I bought a Sunfire amp to drive the difficult impedances on the Reference 7s.6.gif

Bill