Now what's the next step???

My birthday is approaching!

On the 27th of June I'll be 26. And i plan to buy myself a nice gift.

My heart is balancing between two things, at very different prices; and i don't know what to choose.

should I:

-buy and install a pair of Beyma CP25 in my LaScalas (around 160euro)

or

-buy a nice big Magnat Omega 380 active high efficiency subwoofer? (around 650euro, I'm gonna eat pastas for three months if i buy it))

in other terms, should I improve the low end or the high end of the spectrum? i feel both should be improved, but I'm too short on money to do both!9.gif

from what would my beloved Scalas benefit the most?

I listen mainly to rock, electro, jazz and baroque music.

My system includes vintage Technics SE-A5 power amp freshly installed, NAD C320BEE integrated (only preamp section used now), Kenwood DP7090 CD player with SuperSpikes feet, Nordost and Monster interconnects, QED speaker cable.

Thanks for your advice! 10.gif

Definitely work on the low end! Scalas just need some help there. Swapping tweeters will yield some difference, but not nearly as much as the bottom end.

On the Beyma tweeters, are you thinking of putting them on top of the cabs?

I've got a pair of CP-25's sitting on top of my Khorns. I'm working on some little bases for them, and so sometimes have them on and sometimes listen to the K77's.

I have to say that while I'm fond of hearing a different high end sometimes, I can't say I'm completely sold. One of the things I've been learning, slowly, is that sometimes what I think is better is just different. Sometimes those K77's sound cleaner, to my ears, than the Beymas.

Hello:

Depending on room size, I would add a sub-woofer with settings that would complement, not just shake the floor bass.

Listen to the lows on a piano, bass guitar and harpsichord. Specicfically listen for individual notes rather than a slightly blended together bass section.

dodger

----------------

On 6/18/2004 11:25:23 AM DaddyDee wrote:

Definitely work on the low end! Scalas just need some help there. Swapping tweeters will yield some difference, but not nearly as much as the bottom end.

On the Beyma tweeters, are you thinking of putting them on top of the cabs?

I've got a pair of CP-25's sitting on top of my Khorns. I'm working on some little bases for them, and so sometimes have them on and sometimes listen to the K77's.

I have to say that while I'm fond of hearing a different high end sometimes, I can't say I'm completely sold. One of the things I've been learning, slowly, is that sometimes what I think is better is just different. Sometimes those K77's sound cleaner, to my ears, than the Beymas.

----------------

Interesting, what you said about the CP25. that's exactly what i'm afraid of: buying them then discovering

that I prefer the sound of the K77.

I'm thinking about swapping the tweeters because I already swapped the midrange horns (EV SM120A), and I'm very very happy with the sound I got from those high dispersion horns. it really made my Scalas sound ten times better; I hope to get the same result from new, wider dispersion tweeters.

As for tweeter placement, due to the size of the new mid horns I had to get rid of the top high-mid box (remember my Scalas are the pro version splitted in two sections); the midrange horns simply sit on top of the bass horns, and the tweeters sit on the upper "lip" of the mid horns.

it doesn't really look like a laScala anymore 2.gif

Anyways the sub is a very tempting add-on (tho I can't say I really need any more bass... it's already wallshaking; just want to extend it as low as possible.)

----------------

On 6/18/2004 12:40:25 PM Shock-Late wrote:

it doesn't really look like a laScala anymore
2.gif

Anyways the sub is a very tempting add-on (tho I can't say I really need any more bass... it's already wallshaking; just want to extend it as low as possible.)

----------------

That is one awesome looking mid horn.

I think you are right in what you are thinking for the sub. I used Scalas in my main system for a good while and was much better pleased with them when I got a sub. I happened to get a Cambridge Soundworks P1000, which to my ears, was an excellent match. It was also conveniently configurable and with a remote. No getting down on the knees in the corner to make adjustments.

Anyway, once that rascal was dialed in to pick up where the Scalas rolled off, just the extension of the bass sounded fabulous. Didn't know what I'd been missing. No here is something that was curious to me. On occasion I'd have the main amp turned off, but the source signal was still getting to the sub and I'd hear the part of the program material that came out of it. Actually was surprising as to how modest those really low frequencies sounded coming out, but with the Scalas running they sound, well, just complete.

What amp / source are you using? This might be the reason of the relative "lack" of treble with the CP25...

In my configuration, the highs seem to be rather too "hot" with some music...

I may buy the Beyma tweeters now instead of the sub because there are a few parties coming in my house the next weeks and I'm afraid of burning tweeters (seems to be a dumb reason but i know my flatmates will really shake the house with the scalas and as i removed the Zener diodes it scares me..) I think the Beyma CP25 can handle a lot more power than the EV T35...

geez...

I wih i could find a set of used CP25 so i can resale them the same price in case I don't like them...

----------------

On 6/19/2004 2:21:16 PM Shock-Late wrote:

What amp / source are you using? This might be the reason of the relative "lack" of treble with the CP25...

In my configuration, the highs seem to be rather too "hot" with some music...

I may buy the Beyma tweeters now instead of the sub because there are a few parties coming in my house the next weeks and I'm afraid of burning tweeters (seems to be a dumb reason but i know my flatmates will really shake the house with the scalas and as i removed the Zener diodes it scares me..) I think the Beyma CP25 can handle a lot more power than the EV T35...

geez...

I wih i could find a set of used CP25 so i can resale them the same price in case I don't like them...
----------------

The power handling capability of the Beyma is a strong point over the the K77. Your buddies can crank up your speakers and you don't have to worry about fried tweets. If you don't have Beyma's in place before party time, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get some of the cheap piezo tweeters from Radio Shack. They wouldn't do for HiFi, but for a loud party, they'd be fine and wouldn't be vulnerable like the K77's.