Dutch guys wants advice on rf-series...

Holland

Hi! I'm a dutch guy looking for a really great home-cinema system. I would normally just ask this on a dutch forum, but since klipsch is a fairly unknown brand in europe (i never heard about klipsch before yesterday) nobody could help me out... So excuse my english 2.gif

On saturday I've been to a store were they sold the klipsch rf series and the guy selling it was completely crazy about it. I've listened to the rf-5's for about 2 hours and I thought they sounded great, especially with music like jazz, blues and rock music. The thing is, I like listening to house music (if you know it: Chemical brothers, Fat boy slim, Faithless) and I kind of missed the deep-bass you can feel inside (not the sort of bass that make your glasses dance out of your closet).

I was wondering if this was solved by using a subwoofer (rw-10 or rsw-12)?

Other question(s)...:

In numerous posts here on the forum I read that the rf-7's are much better than the rf-5's. The problem is that he didn;t have them at the store (not that I would have thought about asking, since I never heard of the brand before 3.gif ). I could probalbly get him to arrange for them for a day at the the european importer so I could listen to them. But...:

1) My living room is 6.2 meters long and 3.6 meters wide, which should be around 20 feet long and 12 feet wide. My tv sits in the middle of the 12 feet wall, with my front speakers left and right to the wall. My chair stands in the middle of the room, which is about 10 feet from either my tv and the front speakers. I have a wooden floor and not much standing in the room. The question is, will the rf-7's not be too "big" for my room?

2) This question has more to do with my budget. Since speakers are much more expensive in europe (especially holland) then they are in the usa/canada I would like to know if the extra costs for the rf-7's would weigh up to the sound-improvement. To just give you the numbers, and I don't exactly know the prices of the rf-7s...: The rf-5's will cost me 2000 euro's a pair, which, with the current rates, will be about 2400 us dollars. The rf-7's will cost me at least 3600 dollars a pair, butI think even more (i would have to ask the guy for excact prices). Is it worth listening to the rf-7's at all or would you say they are to expansive for their sound?

I hope this story wasn't too long for you all 3.gif and I hope someone can give me some good advise. Next saturday I'm going to listen to some other speakers at an other store, bt after that I will probably go to the first store again and listen to the rf-5's again, but now with the help of a subwoofer. See if that helps. i could always then ask him to arrange for the rf-7's to listen to when it's worth it. Thanks in advance 9.gif

Welcome! Your english is better than most of the people here, so I wouldn't fret. I have listened to both the Rf5 and the Rf7's, but neither together. This is my observations: The rf7 has a better compression driver and lens, with larger woofers. ( dual 10" rather than dual 8". ) The rf5 uses the same woofers as my rf3II's, which are also used in the Rc7 center channel.

Depending on budget, I would suggest that you purchase the best speaker that you can afford, so you do not feel the need to " upgrade " at a later date.

The rf7 can work wonders, even in a small room, as evidenced when I visited a fellow member in Michigan. I feel that the prices are quite steep, as the cherry finish Rf5 can be had in Toronto, Ontario, Canada for $ 1200 + tax. Fwiw, I could buy another pair of in stock Rf3II's here in Thunder Bay for $800 cdn + tax.

Welcome to the forum, Holland,

i would listen to both models before i spend my money. Only then you can decide if the 7s are worth the higher price.

I've listened to both and preferred the 7s. I would save a little longer and go for the 7s. Updating later is more expensive.

Are you looking for a whole speaker package, including a center channel? If so, then there might be other considerations. A subwoofer would fill in the lowest frequencies, leaving your main L/R speakers an easier job.

If you did purchase the Rf7 for the main speakers, you may find that you do not need an additional subwoofer, as they do provide plenty of bass on their own.

Welcome to the forum, the prices paid for US speakers in Europe would buy some *very good* European speakers.

I'd at least consider locally used, and on-line auctions to hunt for the Klipsch that you come to like.16.gif

((((NP> 70 oz. of Reggae> Slave Master(Gregory Isaacs))))

That's some quick replies! And that so early in the morning (well, for you guys anyway3.gif )!

Dr-dezibel, I know I should listen to all speakers before buying, it was just that he didn;t have the rf-7's and i just wanted to hear some oppinions before telling the guy to go and arrange some with the european importer. Not that he really minds I think.

As for the prices, I know they are quit steep to you guys, but it's just the prices for this quality speakers in europe. I would pay about the same for equal speakers of other brands (B&W, Dynaudio...). It's the same with cars, gasoline, cd's, dvd's. Us poor europeans just have to live with that knowledge 2.gif

And yes, I am looking for a complete home cinema package, but I wouldn't mind if I couldn't buy everything at once with my budget. I can always expand later (surrounds, center). If I run out of money I will have to stop buying and start savind for more 2.gif I looked it up on the internet and a rf-7 will indeed cost me about 1500 euros (1800 us$, 2500 ca$) a piece. It would probably be cheaper if I just bought them in the us and ship them over here (even including taxes and transport) but then there's always the guarantee issue. And I don;t think the european importer will help me much if I go and buy them behind his back 2.gif

I didn;t know wether to get the rc-35 and rs-35's (1400 euro's in total) or the rc-7 and rs-7's (2900 euro's in total) but as I'm reading more and more on this forum I'm guessing the rc-7 and rs-7's are a lot more quality even with the great price difference. So I'm guessing I will just have to call the guy and make him arrange for a pair of rf-7's, a pair of rs-35's and a pair of rs-7's, a rc-35 and a rc-7 and probably a rw-10, a rsw-12 and a rsw-15, even though I'm guessing a sub will make me go way over my budget 3.gif Let the guy work for his money 12.gif

I will probably be hooking them up to a nad t-753 a/v receiver (I listened to the rf5's on a vincent amp, so I will have to check out the sound with the nad) since I think 70 watts a channel is more then enough for the klipsch, since they are extremely sensitive. This part just to complete the info. 1.gif

A pair of Rf7's as the main L/R speakers, even for movies should suffice for most people, before stepping up with additional speakers. I would recommend getting the matching center channel for the main speakers that you purchase.

As for the surrounds, for movies, it is not critical that they are the same as the recommended. As long as they are similar in voicing, and level matched in the receiver, they will work fine. For multichannel music, then you may consider monopole speakers for the rear surrounds, rather than the WDST surrounds. If this does not apply to you, or you are not heading in that direction, than the WDST surrounds will work fine.

@collin, I could probably boost up the bass with the amp, but then I mess up the whole "picture" a bit. A sub would probably be a better addition, but good subs are just soooo expansive.

And ironwoods, I don;'t want to buy second hand. Just some bad experiences some friends of mine had with that. And besides, even if I did, second hand klipsches are really really hard to find around here 2.gif And like I said before, good european speakers will cost me the same amount of money. But I will definitely (did I spell that right?) go and listen to some other branches before I decide to spend a small fortune on equipment. I just kind of liked the "pure" sound coming from the klipsches. And even though I know sound is a personal emotion, other peoples oppinions or suggestions are always nice to hear.

If I want to buy monopole speakers, it would probably have to be the RB-75's since I have to wall-mount them... But I don't think I'm going to listen a lot of multi-channel music.

Holland:

I can understand if a large price differential would make you think twice about going with the reference seven series, but you definitely should listen to a reference seven front array (RF-7s, RC-7), before you make up your mind. Having listened to both RF-5s and owning reference sevens, there is a difference in the quality of the horns, between both. You could save some money by going with RF-5s, but would you be happy matching it with a RC-35? Maybe, but the RC-7 is a vastly superior center to a RC-35, and your center plays a more important role in your H/T than your mains do. As a result, when upgrading, I personally concentrate on building from new center out, rather than vice-versa.

The point of my rambling? RF-5s could be an option for you, but you would likely want to pair them with the best center you can, a RC-7. I am not sure how well this combination would voice match, since the RF-5s run different tweeters/horns than the RC-7 (the RF-5s run 1 inch compression drivers and the RC-7 runs a 1.75 inch compression driver-same as the RF-7s). Klipsch has maintained that RF-5s and a RC-7 is a voice match, even with different horns, but I honestly cannot tell you if/how they match up because I have never heard a pair of RF-5s run with a RC-7. My recommendation is to see if you can listen to not only a reference seven front, but also to a pair of RF-5s run with a RC-7.

I would still go with Reference sevens (RF-7s,RC-7) across front.

9.gif

Carl.

I have both RF-5s and RF-7s in my system, and I had listened to them side-by-side. The RF-7s have a slightly better mid-range and the bass extension is definitly better. That being said, the RF-5s are no slouch themselves and will make for excellent speakers. There are a couple on here that have just the RF-5s and are very happy with them.

I would definitly try to get your dealer to arrange a demo so that you can listen to the RF-7s and RF-5s side-by-side. If you can swing the budget, it may just be worth it to you to go for the RF-7s. General rule of thumb is to buy the biggest speaker that you can afford as well as can fit into your room.

As for the center channel. As others have already said, this is the case where it is definitly worth the difference in price to get the RC-7 over the RC-35, especially if you do get the RF-5s or larger. If you were just getting the RF-35's then it may be prudent to save the money and stick with the RC-35, but for the larger speakers (RF-5 and RF-7), getting the RC-7 is a must.

For the room size, I have my complete setup in a 14 x 15 foot room (about 4.3 x 4.6 meters), and it works wonderfully. It does not overpower the room at all, even with the 200 watts/channel B&K amp that I am powering them with.

As for listening to other brands of speakers, it sounds like that you already have done so and decided on Klipsch. In that case, if you really do like the sound of the Klipsch, then by all means get the Klipsch, dispite what others may say about them.

To sum it up. If you can, try to swing for the larger speakers, but definitly try to at least get to listen to the RF-5 and RF-7 side-by-side yourself. Shame you are clear across the pond, otherwise, I'd let you come to my place and listen to the two models here. 12.gif

I wonder what it would cost to ship an sv subwoofer to holland?9.gif You might contact these guys and see if they even ship internationaly (maybe they have a european distribution center) They deserve a look along with the RSW12 and 15.

www.svsubwoofers.com

Just be a good European and get some nice little Jamo's with some nice little 13cm bass drivers 9.gif

I sure didn't think Klipsch did much in Europe. When I lived in London, there was a TON of hi-end JBL stuff for 2-3X what it cost in the USA, but I never saw Klipsch.

Klipsch does everything in europe to keep their sales low. High prices, very few dealers, no advertising, very few reviews.

The few dealers work like missionaries but are obviously left alone by the sales reps.

My nearest dealer has nearly all reference line speakers but no complete HT setup.

Only a pair of K-Horns represents the heritage series. Heresys as the entry level of the heritage series are not in the audition room. Would you buy a pair of those or la scalas without audition???

So its not a wonder that klipsch is not as well known as other american speaker brands.

We have fine speakers in Europe - no doubt. But if you love the sound of the horns you have to look overseas.