Wanna Design My House?

----------------

On 3/22/2005 1:01:40 PM Champagne taste beer budget wrote:

I didn't think that would come out quite right, but you get the idea. I hope.

----------------

I think i do...

Even if you double sheet rock both ceilings you should continue your wall composition all the way up to the sub flooring. Studs, sheet rock, wool, furring, etc...

I realise it's a lot more work framing and sheet rocking between the floor joists, but it's common practice in commercial construction. The idea is to reduce the number of air and sound leaks, so you will have to caulk and apply at least one coat of joints all the way up to the sub floor before doing your ceiling. You should also caulk around any wires and mechanicals crossing through. It'll be hidden by the ceiling and acoustic caulk is cheap.

Later...

Rob

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve: The resiliant channel is in my plans already for the walls on the side that is producing the noises, i.e. shop and listening room. Good link though, thanks, looks like some good info, I just haven't reda all of it yet.

Formica: I'd thought about that, but passed on the idea since it would require a LOT of extra framing for attaching the sheetrock to and a lot of accurate cuts in the sheetrock, essentially dovetailing the sheetrock into the joists. However, it's sounding like the correct way to do it, regardless of much of a PITA it is to do. Although I suppose once you get started, get a system worked out, it wouldn't be that bad, maybe even make up a simple jig that a router or rotozip would slide along the edges of. Assuming ALL the joists are precisly spaced. Something I'll have to check tonight.

On second thought, that wouldn't work. I left a 5/8" gap from the top of the sheetrock on the walls to the bottom of the joists. I wasthinking to make basically 4' wide combs, but with only the number of teeth required to slip between the joists, but with only 5/8" on the bottom, wouldn't be enough there to hold the tines of the comb. Again, hoping that makes sense.

I'll probably just end up laying in some 2x4 frames in between every joist and cutting a piece of sheetrock to fit in between. I guessing there's only like 50 or 60 joists, nothing I couldn't whip out in an afternoon. 14.gif

----------------

On 3/22/2005 3:13:53 PM Champagne taste beer budget wrote:

I'd thought about that, but passed on the idea since it would require a LOT of extra framing for attaching the sheetrock to and a lot of accurate cuts in the sheetrock ...

I'll probably just end up laying in some 2x4 frames in between every joist and cutting a piece of sheetrock to fit in between...

----------------

PITA without a doubt... Like you said, you'll have to first frame in the wood blocking and then fill in with a bunch of little pieces of sheet rock... as your best route.

If you have "I" shaped joists, you can even use several smaller pieces of gypsum to fill everything in... after all, it doesn't have to look pretty. Just sealed up.

Rob

• Moderators

I think there should be a show on TLC or HG like "Designer's Challenge" or "Landscaper's Challenge" but instead be titled "Home Theater Challenge" or something like that....where 3 designers come up with a layout for a HT system and you get to pick one 9.gif

That would probably work, Micheal, though would involve a lot of cutting individual pieces and not sure how well I could get them to seal even if they were cut to the right size. Still thinking on what the best approach is, I may end up taking the sheetrock down that I have up already and doing the fingers up on the end thing, then seal around those. Pack the area over the header with insulation before putting up the other side of the wall.

Amy, I like that idea, and with the increasing demand for HT in homes these days, I can see where it might even fly!! Have you called CBS yet? 1.gif

• Moderators

----------------

On 3/31/2005 10:31:06 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

Amy, one of the magazines about HT has that as a feature. Think its maybe Sound+Vision or something like that. They take a couples plans and budget and have three designers come up with plans. Some are very different.

Michael----------------

Dern, someone stole it!!!

7.gif

----------------

On 3/31/2005 10:27:37 AM Amy Unger wrote:

I think there should be a show on TLC or HG like "Designer's Challenge" or "Landscaper's Challenge" but instead be titled "Home Theater Challenge" or something like that....where 3 designers come up with a layout for a HT system and you get to pick one
9.gif
----------------

Good idea Amy. I think it should be two homes doing HT's for each other. Imagine the wives always pulling for tiny cubes and the husbands demanding the big boys!

You can host it. Soon America will be saying Paige who???

----------------

On 3/31/2005 10:27:37 AM Amy Unger wrote:

I think there should be a show on TLC or HG ... be titled "Home Theater Challenge" or something like that....where 3 designers come up with a layout for a HT system and you get to pick one
9.gif

----------------

If you leave it up to TV viewers, they would choose the setup with the nice sofas and invisible 3" Bo$e speakers "which sound just like big ones".

The guy who tries to use Klipschorns would get frowns from the designers with "they look like something my grandfather used to have"... "we'll have to paint those the wall colour and hang some drapes infront to reduce their impact on the room".

To be fair, all teams would have to integrate the same equipment or that it be run by an audio magazine where the readership can appreciate the pursuit of good sound without auditioning the differences.

It actually reminds me of several of the "This Old House" series where the homeowners installed multiroom sound, probably donated by bo$e. Everyone on the show mentioned on how these little cubes sounded "exactly like big speakers"... and without hearing the real thing... a lot of the viewers probably believed it. 6.gif

Rob

• Moderators

----------------

On 3/31/2005 11:08:59 AM scott0527 wrote:

Good idea Amy. I think it should be two homes doing HT's for each other. Imagine the wives always pulling for tiny cubes and the husbands demanding the big boys!

You can host it. Soon America will be saying Paige who???

----------------

I wouldn't want to be the host! I'd want to be a designer!!!

9.gif

----------------

On 3/31/2005 11:55:17 AM Amy Unger wrote:

I wouldn't want to be the host! I'd want to be a designer!!!
9.gif

----------------

Hmmmmm.. reminds me of another thread that started out something like...

"I still think AMY should have to set up the listening rooms...

Dont you guys think it would be fun to watch Amy set up a system?"

Designer AND installer all in one? And she's cute to boot! Amy, have you thought about getting your resume updated? 11.gif

Well Amy, I simply feel that your attributes and capabilities are being underutilized by your current standing in the heirarchy of the organization, therefore, in order for them to retain your services, you are entitled to either

A) A nice, big raise. 50% should suffice.

B) Your own corner office, upper floor, wrap around window, cappachino machine.

C) FREE STUFF!!!

Personally, I wouldn't want to deal with the inter-office political repurcussions of A or B, so C would seem to be the obvious choice. A set of prototype Jubilees would probably do the trick!

BTW.. what ever happened to designing my house??

Let's see.. today I had ideas and suggestions for Green Glue, which looks very promising, albeit expensive, talked to Ted White, came up with about $1600 as a guestimate for complete coverage, though they claim 70% of effect at only 50% coverage, also the idea of an Infinite Baffle system, a possible new solution to the rafter isolation question, and, unexpectedly, a new thought on getting the 20' dirt perimiter of our house turned into grass that popped up in a discussion at lunch. All in all, a fairly good day!