Backyard 2 Channel Listening.

Hello my fellow music lovers.

During these warm summer months, I enjoy setting up various 2 channel rigs in my backyard.

Nothing crazy and elaborate, mind you, just an old stereo, turntable, and a pair of speakers.

I like to see what various combinations will sound like in an outdoor venue.

Plus, I really dig my backyard. :)

I often set the stereo and turntable on my deck with the speakers on the ground.(always on stands of some sorts)

Then I set up my camp chair in the sweet spot and proceed to kick out the jams.

Generally, it is an evening event for me.

With sunset being a starting point and starlight finishing it off.

I guess it's just the right atmosphere for me to really appreciate some good tunes.

My back yard has a surrounding 30' tall canopy of trees, that offer up a large opening for me in the center.

(very nice for stargazing)

I also enjoy watching a local family of bats have their evening meal as I spin some vinyl.

Cheap entertainment..Ha Ha.

It's something else.

They swoop entirely too close to me as Wynton M, Cannonball, or whoever play their thing.

They seem to move in concert with whatever i'm playing.

It's kinda freaky, but neat at the same time.

Almost like they feel the beat and move in harmony to it.

Huh...

I always enjoy it....but my girlfriends don't ever seem to care for it......

Go figure

Ha Ha Ha

Do any of you drag a system outside for fun and if so, what gear do you use?

Regards,

John

Guest Anonymous

I enjoy back yard listening ..I usually run the speaker wire from them adcom555II outside on the screened in porch and use an extra pair of heresy (73),For my birthday I get loud noise permit from the city and have a back yard birthday party bash friends cant believe the sound that only two speakers can put out...Tony

I don't really have anything fancy outside sound-wise. The deck on the rear of our house is adjacent the front of our unattached garage and at risk of using the "B" word here, I have an old pair of Bose 101 outdoor speakers hanging in the cathedral gable of the front of our garage facing our deck. They are connected to an old (1976) Pioneer SX-838 (50 watt/channel) receiver and an early Sony 5-disc carousel CD player, both of which sit inside the garage on the work bench. This combination seems to work fine in conjuction with the wondeful white noise provided to us by our 4 fountains throughout our yard while star-gazing on warm summer nights with tiki torches all a-glow.

This photo, which is poor because it is a frame lifted from a video, shows our deck in proximity to our garage. This was taken late, last summer on the day before the siding guys were to show up to install vinyl siding on the garage. The flower pots are sitting on the ground because they needed to be out of the way of the workers. The garage today looks great and it matches the siding on the house. The speakers (not shown in this photo) hang from the overhang of the garage's gable.

deck.jpg