Why own Klipschorns? Here's why I do

Parrot

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/06/19/DDG7R780FU1.DTL

As I read this newspaper review, linked over at AA, I kept thinking that the writer probably has never heard Klipschorns, and is likely going to listen to the eventual release on some tiny little cone speakers. Good luck to him.

A poster who attended the live performance, Jim Stoneburner, said: ". . . the choir had a tremendous dynamic range, from ppppp (literally) to who-knows-what loud."

What other speaker can approach the Klipschorn in its hairtrigger-activated ability to go from the faintest, barely discernible, hint of a mist of sound, to the full-blown assault of a 100+ piece orchestra, and choir. And, at one extreme or the other and all points in between, do it without so much as breaking a sweat.

EDIT: And sound as good!

crazed.jpg

Michael Tilson Thomas, conductor

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Paul----There have been other speakers made that can match the dynamics and low distortion of the Khorn and some that can surpass it. Altec, Tannoy, JBL, Jensen, Edgar and University come immediately to mind.

For instance the Edgar Titan is fully horn-loaded and it's 2" throat mid driver will still be soaring when the 1" throat driver of the Khorn is making distressed quacking sounds.

Granted that this would be at VERY loud levels but hey, you asked the question.

You have never heard a set of nautilus 801`s. Find some and listen, you have never imagined music will do what youll hear. It is like going to a NHRA top fuel meet for the first time. You cant compare a 1953 Harley to a new v-rod in performance.Simmilar compareson.

Paul---Whether you were impressed or not by Edgar's speakers is not the point, whether they can match the dynamics of a Khorn is. And they can.

I reckon you don't know much about JBLs.

If you want to argue that JBLs can't match Khorns dynamics you'll need to do better than merely assert it.

Tell us if CARs can't match Khorn dynamics too.

Fact is that speakers with dynamics as good as the Khorns are not uncommon. Afterall, it's not like the technology is unique to Klipsch, or was even developed by them. No, the actual technology is from WE, RCA, Lansing Mfg., MGM, Voight and such.

You're right, Tom, I should have added: "and sound as good."

What's with your obsession about Edgar's speakers, anyway? You post about them all the time. I think they may be the most overpraised speakers I've ever heard. Salad bowls belong on the dinner table.

Dean---My pal Kurt Chang has 2 sets of the Churchill drivers. He's used them in flat baffles with dipolar bass augmented by subs and in the modified JBL cabinets as shown.

They sound very nice. Not any better than a Cornwall or an Altec DuPlexe IMO but certainly very, VERY nice.

post-6913-1381925609528_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 6/21/2004 5:01:40 PM TBrennan wrote:

Paul----There have been other speakers made that can match the dynamics and low distortion of the Khorn and some that can surpass it. Altec, Tannoy, JBL, Jensen, Edgar and University come immediately to mind.

For instance the Edgar Titan is fully horn-loaded and it's 2" throat mid driver will still be soaring when the 1" throat driver of the Khorn is making distressed quacking sounds.

Granted that this would be at VERY loud levels but hey, you asked the question.----------------

TBrennan, nothing personal and no offense, but why do you bother hanging around the Klipsch BB's? I mean really? All you seem to do is bash Klipsch. WTF? You sound like a broken record with the constant Edgar, JBL, Altec, Tannoy, Jensen etc., etc., etc. promos.

I have heard Dr. Edgar's speakers. They sound like sh!t. Seriously, can you come close to a K-horn soundwise for the pricepoint?

I am not really sure how old you are, but is it possible that you have lost some of your hearing?

Paul---Hmmm, I know I have an obsession with horn speakers in general. I think I've talked alot more about Altecs and JBLs than about Edgars. In any case Edgar is a major horn player and people ought to be aware of his work. You're aware of it and rejected it. Fine. At least you're aware.

The saladbowl horn is a good device. I've used it with various drivers and in a couple of systems to good effect. As with any DIY speaker system the hard part is in the integration and balance. You shouldn't be so quick to judge the device itself until you've duked around with it. It's unreasonable.

Kurt doesn't care how things look, only how they sound.2.gif

post-6913-1381925609684_thumb.jpg

tubelover---Sure you mean to be personal and offend.

I own Klipsch speakers now and I've owned several sets in the past. I come here to talk horns with other hornys. Klipsch is NOT the be-all and end-all of horn speakers. Other horn speakers have virtues as well. The only thing I'm promoting is that people have knowledge of their options.

If you don't want to take part in discussions of horn loudspeakers in general just stay away from such discussions. I doubt you'll be missed as I don't recall you ever adding to the store of knowledge of horns around here.

In any case it's not your place to censor or moderate.

"TBrennan, nothing personal and no offense, but why do you bother hanging around the Klipsch BB's? I mean really? All you seem to do is bash Klipsch. WTF? You sound like a broken record with the constant Edgar, JBL, Altec, Tannoy, Jensen etc., etc., etc. promos.

I have heard Dr. Edgar's speakers. They sound like sh!t. Seriously, can you come close to a K-horn soundwise for the pricepoint?

I am not really sure how old you are, but is it possible that you have lost some of your hearing?"

Sure doesn't sound like a lady to me! And certain a troll for the most part!

I, too, have heard Bruce Edgar big system (Edgarhorn). It is very good, not excellent (In my opinion) and forget about any idea of a WAF too. LOL look at a pic of them and see. These are monsterous speakers... And I have no idea how to even fit them in most rooms myself.

That said, it is nice to see another approach. If we all liked the same speaker and only that speaker... Listening to audio would be pretty boring!!

----------------

On 6/21/2004 5:33:24 PM TBrennan wrote:

tubelover---Sure you mean to be
personal and offend.

No Tbrennan I meant exactly what I said. Unlike you.

I own Klipsch speakers now and I've owned several sets in the past. I come here to talk horns with other hornys.

You don't come here to talk horns with other hornys. You come here to belittle people that don't agree with what you like.

Klipsch is NOT the be-all and end-all of horn speakers.

Who said they were?

Other horn speakers have virtues as well.

What? Edgar Titans? lol

The only thing I'm promoting is that people have knowledge of their options.

Sure, as long as they are Altec, JBL, or Edgar horns.

If you don't want to take part in discussions of horn loudspeakers in general just stay away from such discussions.

You call this a discussion?

I doubt you'll be missed as I don't recall you ever adding to the store of knowledge of horns around

here.

Likewise TBrennan.

In any case it's not your place to censor or moderate.

I can do as I please. This is America.

----------------

As I stated previoulsy, Edgar horns sound horrible compared to K-horns.

----------------

On 6/21/2004 5:38:26 PM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

I, too, have heard Bruce Edgar big system (Edgarhorn). It is very good, not excellent (In my opinion) and forget about any idea of a WAF too. LOL look at a pic of them and see. These are monsterous speakers... And I have no idea how to even fit them in most rooms myself.

That said, it is nice to see another approach. If we all liked the same speaker and only that speaker... Listening to audio would be pretty boring!!
----------------

I notice in your system profile that you do not own Edgarhorns. That pretty much says it all. 9.gif

----------------

On 6/21/2004 5:36:23 PM neo33 wrote:

"TBrennan, nothing personal and no offense, but why do you bother hanging around the Klipsch BB's? I mean really? All you seem to do is bash Klipsch. WTF? You sound like a broken record with the constant Edgar, JBL, Altec, Tannoy, Jensen etc., etc., etc. promos.

I am not really sure how old you are, but is it possible that you have lost some of your hearing?"

Sure doesn't sound like a lady to me! And certain a troll for the most part!
----------------

Being a troll isn't so bad. At least I have more than 1.8!