The McIntosh MC2205 arrived today!

Cleve

Well, my Mac Mc2205 arrived today at my house via FedEx from Phoenix. I was very worried about the cross-continent trek and mindful of the horror stories I'd read here about shipping woes. I had paid for FedEx secure packing - I was somewhat heartened to see the big outer box display (a cube 2' on a side) show only minor scuffing and corner wear. The inner box was appropriately virginal looking, and of the same extra heavy construction as the outer box. The careful packing helped allay my fears somewhat, but still I felt as anxious as an expectant father as I carefully unpacked her.

Well, my worries were unfounded. The amp and the custom oak case are pristine, and looked even more beautiful than it did on Ebay. It was just as the seller described it. I spent the next half-hour hooking it up with Monster Cables via the pre-amp outs on my McIntosh 4100 receiver, reconnecting speaker wires, and then powered everything on, and switch the receiver to FM. Everything seemed to be working well.

I've had it on continually for the last 6 hours, listening to a variety of sources, and at all volume levels. The 2205 seems to have a fuller, richer sound than my McIntosh reciever's amplification section (I'm still using the 4100 as pre-amp!) and more effortless bass, even at a watt or two. And yes, I have already lit the red Power Guard lights momentarily - with the digital cannon fire on my Telarc 1812 Overture CD, and on some very heavy bass in Cliff Martinez' Solaris soundtrack album. Boy, what an impact in the room. But the CF-4's don't even seem to be straining to handle that tremendous power, although the dual woofer excursion was much more pronounced than with the Mac4100's 75 watt/channel amplifier.

As I typed this, Joe Walsh's Rocky Mountain Way came on one of the local FM stations - wow, do those guitars sound crystal clear, defined, raspy and terrific!

Time for bed. I'll provide some more listening impressions over the ensuing days. But so far, I'm very happy!

Congrats on the new toy!!! The McIntosh amps have a superb reputation when used with Klipsch. The added headroom is always useful, especially with the 1812.

I just acquired a new Sunfire Cinema Grand II for use with my Reference 7s. I used the SACD of the 1812 to test the bass. It seems to be everyones choice to test an amp.

Bill

Great Amp, those "autoformers" have a magic to them. I used one to drive my curved horn bass cabinets when I had my bi-amped McIntosh/JBL Pro system back in the seventies. I used an McIntosh MC250 to drive the mid and HF horn loaded compression drivers and an active frequency dividing network betwen the bass and mid/HF.

I love my Klipschorns but, I really think that was my most "emotionally" involving system.

Enjoy your amp.

Here's a quick shot I took last evening - The Mac 4100 acts as the pre-amp for the Mc2205 - also, now I've hooked up my surround speakers to the amp section on the 4100, and ran line level outputs from my Dynaco AV center to the amp-in on the Mac, so now I've got 75 McIntosh watts/channel for the surrounds whenever I'm watching 5.1 or DTS

Toy.jpg

Now we need to get rid of nasty Dynaco, and get precious McIntosh to power center channel speaker!

post-14106-1381925610532_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 6/25/2004 2:41:03 PM D-MAN wrote:

YOU HAVE BEEN APPROVED!

----------------

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I'm just a dabbling piker....

Remember this fellow's little system?

1photo59.jpg

Now that's what I call

APPROVED!!!!!

6.gif6.gif6.gif