I'm new to the 2 channel speaker scene -- suggestions please.

Erukian

I went from Sennheiser HD580 headphones to the Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Ultra's. Now i have a buyer who will buy the ultra's off me for 300. I used to own some Dynaudio's so i know what good sound quality is.

I already planned on spending 300 to upgrade my front 2 Ultra satt's with some klipsch reference speakers. If I go through with the selling of the Ultra's, i'll have no speakers (just headphones) and 600-700 bucks to smack down for some audio equipment.

My quesiton is where do I start? I'm guessing I need an nice 2 channel amp + a pair of nice speakers. The room it's filling is 13x15.

If some of you guys can suggest what you'd start out with within my budget, then I'd really appreciate it.

Erukian,

You've got an interesting question here. I'm a Heritage kind of guy, so that would explain my preferences. In your price range, I'd pick up a pair of Heresy's and an HK-430 receiver on Ebay. You can pick up a decent CD source with lunch money. There are a couple of threads on Toshiba and other DVD players that don't hurt $100, and to the ears of the folks that have heard them, they are impressive indeed.

Have fun getting your new system together.

BTW, I've had two HK-430's and have one driving a second system of Heresy II's, and it is an excellent sounding system. The HK receivers are a good enough complement to the Heresy, that usually known as a bass shy speaker, sounds really good.

----------------

On 6/22/2004 5:33:01 PM Erukian wrote:

I think the Heresy is just a little overboard for PC audio. Their floorspeakers right? I have a 50" desk that i plan on letting the speakers sit on.

----------------

O.k. for a desktop, I can see that. These would be worth checking out:

Factory Refurbished ProMedia GMX A-2.1

$99.99

I will sound like a broken record for posting on this again... but Trey Cannon brought this little system down from Indy for a doorprize at the Arkansas gathering. Of course, he set it up and cranked it before giving it away.

This little system is un-freakin-believable. This is the truth, they were set up in a room sitting on top of RF-7's. When I left the room the RF-7's were blasting Led Zeppelin, when I came back, Zep was still on, but playing on the Promedias. I was thinking those RF-7's aren't bad at all. I'm telling you these rascals have got a subwoofer that will thump you in the chest and the satellites are clean and true. I actually found it somewhat disconcerting that you could get sound like that out of a $100 system. That is almost a throw away price. I mean, heck, I just spent more than that to get a pair of diaphragms to refurb a pair of Beyma tweeters!!!

For $100 you'll have killer sound and plenty of bucks left over to download tunes.

----------------

On 6/22/2004 7:41:27 PM DaddyDee wrote:

----------------

On 6/22/2004 5:33:01 PM Erukian wrote:

I think the Heresy is just a little overboard for PC audio. Their floorspeakers right? I have a 50" desk that i plan on letting the speakers sit on.

----------------

Factory Refurbished ProMedia GMX A-2.1

$99.99

I will sound like a broken record for posting on this again... but Trey Cannon brought this little system down from Indy for a doorprize at the Arkansas gathering. Of course, he set it up and cranked it before giving it away.

This little system is un-freakin-believable. This is the truth, they were set up in a room sitting on top of RF-7's. When I left the room the RF-7's were blasting Led Zeppelin, when I came back, Zep was still on, but playing on the Promedias. I was thinking those RF-7's aren't bad at all. I'm telling you these rascals have got a subwoofer that will thump you in the chest and the satellites are clean and true.

For $100 you'll have killer sound and plenty of bucks left over to download tunes.

----------------

But that would be like downgrading for him because he has ultras right now. Why don't you get some klipsch bookshelfs and a decent sub.

----------------

On 6/22/2004 7:52:39 PM T_Shomaker wrote:

DaddyDee,

How does the GMX stuff sound compared to the normal promedia stuff?

Thanks,

Taylor

----------------

the ultras and 2.1 promedia are usually better then the gmx counterparts. It depends the GMX were made really for gamers and the promedia for all around. The Ultras are many times better then the gmx 5.1 but it is a toss up between the 2.1

Question is, do you want a 2.1 set up? You current system powers itself, correct? Are you happy with the 5.1, or are you looking for bigger sound in a 2.1 package? Not sure what your intent is? With the vintage Pioneer that you've got, the Hereseys w/subwoofer would be awesome. If they are too big, look on EBay for one of the KG models (i.e. KG-1, KG-2, etc...) run any of those w/any klipsch sub, the SW line matches the KG line really well. You can put something together (bookshelfs & sub) from EBay for $250-$500. Depending on which models you go with.