I'm new to the 2 channel speaker scene -- suggestions please.

Erukian

I actually have what I think is a good idea.

If I just slapped some RB-25's on my ultra then i would have frequency overlap because the ultra doesnt filter out the sattelites.

IE RB-25's range from 50Hz-20kHz and Klipsch Ultra sub from 120Hz to 25Hz.

What I can do is use a software crossover control with nvidia's soundstorm. If I use digital out and bypass the crappy DAC and use a setting for the soundstorm I can control where the crossover happens, so I can limit the RB's to just 120hz so it'll blend w/ the sub fine.

What do you guys think? There's still the issue of the not-so-praised ultra amp. What if I just run the RB's or Heresy's on a seperate amp and just balance out the system with a db meter?

If you are wanting something more muical, then buy the RB-25's and a pair of speaker stands, hook them up to your reciever and set them up properly in the room. Don't waist those speakers by sitting them on the computer desk! You can find some really nice used "not so low end" CD players on eBay that will finish off your two-channel system. And since you have a computer, instead of piping in the music from it, just burn some CDs and play them in the CD player. You will get much better results this way, plus you will have room to expand in the future.

Just a FYI, I bought my mint pair of KG 5.5's on eBay for $250.00!!!

Your current computer speakers are meant to work together to sound their best. The amps and crossovers are designed specifically for those speakers and will only sound "right" with those speakers.

I dont see how getting a CD player will help me. I mean seriously, I can do digital out to a burr brown DAC on my 5.1 decoder and then have that run to any amp/receiver. And it's not just that i can do digital out to a burr brown DAC, its that all my audio on my computer is high quality (near cd quality) 320kbps mp3 minimum or FLAC if I ripped it myself.

While I really do know that the RB's will not mix with my ultra sattelites it just seems like a very cheap way to go. For music just pipe it to 2 channels and let the RB's/Heresy's soar while the ultra sub digs deep and pounds out the bass (using a finely tuned crossover setting of course). Then when I want to do 5.1 for movies, disable the center channel because it'll sound too uneven and let the heresy/rb's handle the voice of the movie. And then use the ultra satts for rear's for those movie effects.

And for games I really dont pay attention to the audio quality. Just the direction of the sound.

I dunno, it's just a possibility.

I haven't had anything to do with the RB25. But the RB5, featuring an 8 inch driver and real wood veneer, was promoted by Klipsch as a viable alternative to the traditional studio monitor and was in fact, so I'm told, purchased by a number of recording studio's in place of the more traditional products. I have heard the RB5's and I was impressed with the dynamics and clarity. They were a bit expensive in Australia though, seling for over $2000, not much less than a new pair of Heresy 2's.