Best demo material

jzoz01

I know this has come up many times, but new stuff is always coming out. I work for home electronics retailer (which happens to sell Klipsch refrence!!!) and am always looking for suggestions for good demo material. I'm looking specifically for scenes, not just the title of action movies. I use Finding Nemo quite often (the scence where marlin and dorry are chased through the old u boat by the buruce(the shark)), but am looking to find a few more good ones.

----------------

On 6/22/2004 6:01:49 PM jzoz01 wrote:

I'm looking specifically for scenes, not just the title of action movies.

----------------

The pod racing scene from Star Wars Episode 1

The chase scene from Star Wars Episode 2 (when Obi and Anikan are chasing the sniper through Coruscant)

The chase through the asteroids in Star Wars Episode 2

The opening battle scene in Lord of the Rings:Fellowship

The balrog scene in LOTR:Fellowship

The big battle scene in LOTR:Towers (especially the part when the wall gets blown up)

Numerous battle scenes in LOTR:King

The depth charge scene in U-571

Those are some that I can think of off the top of my head. I know there are plenty of others.

In my own humble opinion, good bass demos are battle sciences from Saving Private Ryan, the depth charge scene from U-571, the bus jump scene from Speed, the lobby scene from Matrix, the battle scene from Braveheart, opening battle on Gladiator, crash into police station in Terminator, departure scene from Titanic, attack sequence from Master & Commander, most of any Star Wars, any Indiana Jones action, Jody Fosters take-off in Contact, any fight scene in Top Gun, helicopter attack in True Lies, circle of nude scene in Stanley Kubricks Eyes Wide Shut, long end scene in 2001: A Space Odyssey and of course, with really good bass, the T-Rex foot stomps in Jurassic Park and the incredible airplane crash scene in Jurassic Park III.

The blue-skinned diva singing and action scene in Bruce Willis The Fifth Element is an excellent audio and visual display.

Also female concert DVD, was it Bonnie Raitt? made me rethink multi-channel...2.gif

To showcase a high-end film and music system Gladiator does the trick,it will not impress the kids with fake bass but it will amaze with its superb all around picture quality,great music and quality sound.The movie has competent acting and a story to round it all.The few battle scenes are grandiose and wake the senses.A must own for any HT fan

My second choice would be LOTR series for its first rate picture quality and award winning special effects and some of the most intense audio track ever found in a movie.Contrary to many bada bing BS movies that have a few loud bangs and bings LOTR sound is a showcase of micro to macro,from top to bottom the sound is a treat.

The now classic Barlog scene in the Moria caves will blow away any other movie made,its aural thunder for a few minutes.Not just some "PIF POUF" Hollywood explosions.Another must have,the whole trilogy is good.

jzoz01: Noticing that you weren't specifically looking for "Bass demo" scenes, the "Christmas Recon" sequence of 'Behind Enemy Lines' brings with it enough eye and ear "candy" to impress viewers of all age groups -IMO. The bass presented in this sequence is not what I would call "astounding". The sequence simply tends to bring all of the sound and visual elements together at once. Play it until the ejection seat hits the frozen lake with a resounding thud. This sequence may not be appropriate if "little ears" are present as the "S" word is muttered a couple of times.

I do agree with a lot of the scenes the other members have posted. Great choices guys! 2.gif

I have also discovered that there is a test-drive sequence on the DVD 'Super Speedway - The Mach II Edition (Widescreen Format) 1998' that is quite impressive. The DVD was originally filmed for IMAX. Narration is by Paul Newman. I think it is in scene #7 (I'll correct this post after I check tonight) that Mario Andretti takes you for a few laps around the track in his indy car ala IMAX cameras. Son Michael Andretti later joins him on the track for some two-car action. When I run this in my home theater, I play it rather loudly and as Mario's car's left-front tire drifts in-and-out of the inner portion of the pavement at 180 MPH you can literally feel the air pressure in the entire room change! It's worth a look. Rent it first to see if you really want this one as there is a lot of "filler" on this DVD. I originally bought it strickly as a demo disc, which it does well -IMO.

"Holy Cr@p!" is the usual reaction I get when I show this sequence to somebody new.

speedway.jpgpost-10177-1381925610808_thumb.jpg

My current stack of reference discs includes: the wonderfully sultry and showy jazz of Diana Krall (Stepping Out, Justintime 2000, see my gushing review); the excellent darkness and tone of DMP does DSP; the amazing 20 Bit Taste of DMP sampler from Digital Music Products (DMP '99 and '93); and the various Stereophile recordings ('90, '92 and '95). I would recommend any Chesky, DMP or Reference recording.

For sheer sonic shock value, consider the older, Telarc War of 1812 classical music with its room shaking, speaker breaking digital cannon shots. It is hold your breath and take the leap scary! Or get the newer and brighter Telarc Jurassic Lunch. It has popular movie themes (classical orchestral pieces) and hokey, but knee wobbling deep and impressive, T-Rex stomping and growling. Play either of them at dangerously loud volumes for young audiences with your fingers crossed behind your back.

The Chesky recordings are very good, especially if your ears point towards jazz. They turned me on to high-end recordings with their Test CDs. The Best of Chesky Jazz and More Audiophile Tests/Volume 2 includes some good music samples from the Chesky label (Sarah K., Kenny Rankin, Clark Terry, Phil Woods, Ana Caram, etc.) and listening and technical tests. There are also drum and bass tracks that, while short and sweet, do a great job of showing just how live, vibrant, deep and responsive a good speaker can be to a great recording. The Go to

http://www.chesky.com/omaha/chesky/news/index.html.

even better yet is to let them pick the msuic they know!