K-55-V Code Date?

Thanks Al K.

These are the solder terminal type.

My 79 KHorns had been updated in the past with the K-55-M and AK2 crossover before I had bought them and I flush mounted the K77 to complete the update at that time. I installed a pair of your ALK crossovers(146A&B) early this year and have liked being able to adjust the autofomer settings(seem to prefer 5-2 with K-55-M and looks like 4-0 with K-55-V). I've always been curious about the K-55-V so I located this pair to try.

I have a computer program (ETF5) that I'm learning to use and when I learn how I'll post some graphs of what I've seen so far.

What I've noticed so far is that the K-55-M & K-55-V are very similar and reasonably smooth. Most of the roughness at(3500hz to 6000hz) appears to be caused by the interferance between the K77 and K55. The K55 is dying out quickly(by 7000hz) but I can sure see where a sharper cutoff on the K77 would help here. I also noticed on axis the responce measures smoother if the K77 polarity is wired in reverse like the K55 but If you are off axis it could go either way. I can't say you can really hear this change though it was just something I noticed.

What I'm wondering now Al is would it be possible to modify the ALK crossover with out messing your crossover up to cutoff the K77 Quicker?

Would appreciate any of your thoughts AL K!

Thanks mike1.gif

Mike,

I compared the K55M and the K55V directly also, both by ear and by instruments. I only listend briefly and could hear no difference. The K55M drops off just a tad lower then the K55V but has identical sensitivity. The early K55V (push-pin version) has a glitch at 9 Khz that the later "V" (solder terminals) and the "M" do not have.

You coud not just drop a sharper tweeter filter into my tyep "A" network without screwing up the constant impedance feature. What you are describing is the ES5800 extreme-slope network that I am offering. It completely eliminates interference between squawker and driver except within a VERY narrow window right at the crossover frequency.

Al K.

K55V and K77 from 1000hz to 10Khz

The radio shack spl meter was used for these test which is acceptable for alot of the test for this computer program but for truely accurate spl readings a callibrated mike would be necessary. I'm mostly looking at the differences between drivers and setups.

post-14473-1381925611387_thumb.jpg

This is the K55V/K77 with tweeter polarity reversed on ALK network. Some slight differences. The mic was on the Squawker axis and moving it would definitly change the looks of this responce.I haven't really noticed any difference in sound with K77 polarity changes.

post-14473-1381925611468_thumb.jpg

Hardhead,

I am not sure if the comparion I did was between the "M" and the old or new "V". I am guessing it was using the older push-pin version. I have had all three types here but at different times. What I compared depended on when I did it! I did compare the solder terminal to the push-pin version directly at one time and couldn't here any difference there either. I was able to measure the difference though. Even PWK said that you probably could not hear the difference in one of the Dope from Hope papers.

Al K.

This is the K55V responce alone. The K77 was disconnected from the ALK network.

The gate time is 1.4ms so you are seeing the responce just as its leaving the horn.

the next two graphs will show how the responce changes as the time is increased so you are seeing reflections from the horn mouth ,Khorn cabnite and other close objects.

post-14473-1381925611745_thumb.jpg

Finally the K55V on ALK network with K77 unhooked at 5ms. time.

By now the room is getting involved.

HOPE this interested some of you!!!

Like I said early on I'm just beginning to learn this program and how to setup for these Test so I'm sure some things could be improved but it sure is fun playing with this program.

mike1.gif

post-14473-1381925611924_thumb.jpg

K77 graphs. these were taken with the squawker(K55V) unhooked from ALK Network.

Please Note: these were taken with the radioshack SPL meter so the drop off in sound level as frequency goes higher is mostly because of the meter used.(hope to get a calibrated mic. soon)

Notice as time is increased how the responce is altered by interfering reflections!!

Like always what the ear/brain hears is different from what we can measure and I'm very pleased with the sound of my KHorns in the regions I've shown here.

AL K, what did you notice of the sound in the squaker/tweeter region with your extreme slope network verses other networks with the stock drivers?

post-14473-138192561203_thumb.jpg