Proper sources with Tube amplification...

TommyC

Ok. I have been sick for two days and have spent the whole time cruising all the forums I could find. Audio Overload for sure, but I learn alot from what little I actually understand!

I ran into one argument that I would like to hear your oppinions on (and I Hope I don't start another war with this!). When using Tube amplification, what are your thoughts on sources? The argument I found was: a) tubes, tubes, nothing but tubes! and B) with tube amps adding their coloration to the output, your sources should be as clean as possible and not add any coloration to the signal.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Tommy C.

I use a top grade digital source, Toshiba 900E DVD/A player and vinyl front end through tube amplification. I guess all tube/analogue would be ideal but at the very least you can enjoy great tube sound by ensuring that prior to sending any signal down your speaker cables, the last electronic device influencing your music tonality are tubes and the tube amps' output transformers.

When I got my first tube PP monoblocks I was informed that I should go with a SS preamp to prevent too much "tube" softness. Made sense, so I did.

Was it a good idea? Hell, I don't know, but I did learn this: good PP tube set sounds pretty much the same as a good SS amp. I doubt if I could tell them apart in a blind A-B test... Now I'm running all SS McIntosh gear.

There is alot of difference in preamps, though.

Tubes are fine but they take more care than SS, of course.

Do I think that tubes are worth it (biasing, replacing and/or rolling)? Well, some of my friends still drool over my "old" system; I'm not sure why because my Mc's sure work for me, but I think that they were impressed by the glow of the tubes. Really. It is a non-audio effect that some people really respond to, sort of like candle light. Just a guess at this point...

DM2.gif